Esteemed Contributor

Re: Commercials that make me go Hmmmm

@Icegoddess  I've seen that Subway commercial, and it's bad on many levels. I was thinking someone should be getting a pink slip, but here we are talking about Subway!

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

I'm not familiar with the commercial that the op mentioned but I am tired of seeing all of these actors and actresses and sport figures doing all of the commercials.  

Apparently the companies all think that we will be enticed to either buy their product or ask our doctors about a certain medication because some actor or sports figure tells us how they use it and how great it is.  

I'm so grateful for the mute button on my remote.  When Khloe Kardashian or Whoopi Goldberg come on to the screen extolling the virtue of their migraine headache medication I can't hit the mute fast enough.  

I also feel the same about Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Garner selling the drug store brand of skin care products.  Like we are supposed to believe that these women with all of the expensive products that are readily at their disposal just pop into CVS and pick up a bottle of Jergens lotion.  

@J Town Girl 

Doesn't it seem like there are more commercials featuring celebrities these days?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Speaking of sports stars as commercial pitchmen, what is the appeal of Shaquille O'Neal being in so many commercials?  He sells pizzas, insurance, icy hot patches, and probably other things I can't recall.  He's making a good living at it cause he hasn't played basketball in a long long time.  But he's still going strong on TV ads.

The commercials with all these actors and personalities now pushing their drugs on us make me cringe.  It's really gotten to be too much, drugs, cars and fast food - that's what it's all about!!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess ................Your last sentence says it all.  There is NO truth in advertising!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Although I have not read Tom Brady's book, I am aware that he follows a fairly strict low inflammatory diet to maintain good health and his athletic abilities.

I too thought it strange he'd be doing a commercial for Subway.  Bread, Tomatoes, Processed Deli Meats, unwanted Fats/Oils - not foods he eats.  He obviously doesn't need the $$$$.  I've thought hmmmmm about it too.

Another hmmmmmm'er is for an anti-depressant drug - why take only one drug when two can be better?  Cat Surprised

And then those drugs can cause TD, so there is a pill for that but lists one of the side effects as involuntary movements?

Trusted Contributor

Proceeds to the kids' college funds?

Honored Contributor

I watch shows on some of the channels that are part of the Discovery+ streaming thing and, holy heck, every time a show segment ends a D+ commercial begans and at the end of the commercial segment there is always another one.

Or do they just do 4 minutes of D+ commercials?  I don't know.  Thank goodness for FF and 'skip'.