Frequent Contributor

Re: Commercials Take it Too Far

@tends2dogs wrote:

@aoldgirl wrote:

Are you offended by seeing some one in a wheel chair?  or a veteran with a prostheic leg or arm?  Then why be offended by a lady with out breasts?

It may not be "normal"  but its her normal.  

Yes, it is her "normal" now as far as having a double mastectomy, but is it normal to bare it all in a public domain?  The person in a wheel chair or the one with a prosthetic is living their every day life out in public for all to see, BUT they have clothes on.  I doubt that his woman is going out in public without a top on.  

I mean this in all sincerity. What exactly has you so offended? This woman no longer has breasts nor nipples. She is showing less than what a man without a shirt would. So, with all due respect, is it the mastectomy scars and/or simply a reminder that all women are vulnerable to breast cancer? What makes you so uncomfortable?

Frequent Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

People who are ill should not be marginalized because it makes you uncomfortable. 

They should not be exploited, exhibited to sell soap either. 

I doubt she feels exploited. She is of legal age, gave her consent, and has been to hell and back in her fight against breast cancer.  I don't think too much frightens her anymore.  She is a warrior.

Super Contributor

@Anonymous032819 Thanks so much for the link.  I am sure it took her some time to become upbeat and open.  She is beautiful inside and outside.  She will never know, but I am sure by doing that commercial she has inspired and uplifted many people.

Honored Contributor

There are a lot of things I don't want to see that I am faced with now.  I think it is pointless and done for shock value, and we have enough shocking things to live without being bombarded by things like that. 

A lot of us have enough pain and  strife to deal with on a daily basis.  We don't need it on tv.

Which is why I don't much watch tv any more. 

Esteemed Contributor

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this commercial, and absolutely nothing to be offended by.

Bravo to those brave women!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I haven't seen this commercial, but I think it's a very positive thing. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Hetshepshut wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@aoldgirl wrote:

Are you offended by seeing some one in a wheel chair?  or a veteran with a prostheic leg or arm?  Then why be offended by a lady with out breasts?

It may not be "normal"  but its her normal.  

Yes, it is her "normal" now as far as having a double mastectomy, but is it normal to bare it all in a public domain?  The person in a wheel chair or the one with a prosthetic is living their every day life out in public for all to see, BUT they have clothes on.  I doubt that his woman is going out in public without a top on.  

I mean this in all sincerity. What exactly has you so offended? This woman no longer has breasts nor nipples. She is showing less than what a man without a shirt would. So, with all due respect, is it the mastectomy scars and/or simply a reminder that all women are vulnerable to breast cancer? What makes you so uncomfortable?

@Hetshepshut   I never said I was offended or uncomfortable.  I was commenting to the people that said this is no different than seeing someone in a wheelchair or a person with a prosthetic.  There is a BIG difference as I stated above.  This woman wouldn't walk down the street without a top on.  As someone else said, it isn't necessary.

What really is the message?  A reminder to get mammograms?  Cancer is a terrible thing.  My husband fought it for 10 years and by the grace of God is cured today because of a bone marrow transplant.  People die from cancer and some are cured.  I don't need an ad for body lotion and a woman showing her mastectomy scars to remind me of that.  I am sure that most people don't either.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I think it's especially offensive and a sad reminder to those that lost a loved one to breast cancer....Its bad enugh being bombarded with commercials for Cancer Centers Of America or the Jimmy V Foundation, or Pharmacuetical commericals for those whose breast cancer has spread.....We don't need yet another reminder of someone that we miss very much and all the pain and agony that went along with this journey......Woman Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Why do we have to see any of it?  Why can't they just tell us it smells good or it makes the body clean and fresh?

People have been buying soap for a very long time.  

I know I don't buy the brand of soap just because it shows a naked human being! It doesn't matter what brand or showing a person's body.

It's just plain stupid.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IslanderGirl62 wrote:

Comedienne Tig Notaro shows off her double mastectomy scars as part of her stand-up routine and stays topless for a good portion of it.  Her routine was also a 2015 HBO special called "Boyish Girl Interrupted". 

This is what she said to Rolling Stone Magazine: “Healthy, sick, boobs, no boobs…this is just life and this is my body, relax”.    

Comedians on HBO do and say a lot of things that aren't always acceptable for public airings, and their comedy shticks sometimes are considered obscene, x-rated, lewd, foul and outrageous, so what Tig Notaro does doesn't make it all right.... 

So you would recommend everyone walk around in the nude in order to show our various scars from our various  health issues....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”