Honored Contributor

I just saw a Dove commercial for a moisturizing body wash and they showed an older woman remove her robe in front of a mirror with her breasts removed.  So unnecessary just to sell a body wash. Total turn off for me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Commercials Take it Too Far

@rms1954    Go find "contact us"on their website and tell them what you think.  If this commercial is as tasteless as you describe, and enough people complain, I bet it'll soon be gone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you ... I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THAT !!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know what you mean by a woman with her breasts removed. Do you mean a woman who has had a double mastectomy or an image of a woman whose breasts have been blurred out by censors?

If it's a woman with a double mastectomy, I'm okay with that. I think it's positive to acknowledge the fact that some women have had double mastectomies and that they have nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed of. A lot of women feel like they're less than because of a mastectomy. I think normalizing women who have gone through that is a positive thing, not a negative.

If it's just a naked woman with breasts blurred for censorship, that's just unnecessary scandal for attention and that's sad.

Valued Contributor

I applaud the woman for having the guts to shoot that commercial.

I'm sure it wasn't an easy thing for her to do.

Super Contributor

I've seen this several times. It's a woman with a double mastectomy. It's not that bad at all. Her doctor did a great job of keeping her scars to just a line on each side. I've seen way worse! I actually called my BF to the TV to show him. He was shocked for a moment. I said to him, I thought the woman felt free of having those things hanging on her chest for no reason anymore. When I was younger, I thought I'd never let a doctor do that to me. Now, I'm older, and I don't think I'd care that much anymore. It's interesting how we change how we feel about things as we get older.

Honored Contributor

The women I know who have survived breast cancer make it a topic of conversation whenever they can, but they don't open up their shirts and show you the surgeons handy work. I think it's ok to share up to a point, IMO this is the point. Why would anyone want to show something so traumatic and personal to strangers. I don't want to see it, I'm not her relative or husband, she's a stranger. What are these commercial people trying to say by that display.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

2FD5FDDA-9EB6-4420-BDF6-61674FF0B255.jpegIt doesn't bother me.  Cancer is fact of life and women who have had their breasts removed are still beautiful.  No need for them to be ashamed.

It's the same if an arm or leg was amputated.  They no less human and these people are still normal.  It's not supposed to be a turn on....just a natural occurrence.

Honored Contributor

Wow! That offends you? Good for Dove. I will send a letter of encouragement. 

Esteemed Contributor

I APPLAUDE Dove for doing this!

Women are BEAUTIFUL with or without breasts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_epVeWif-U 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.