Honored Contributor

Comedian Norm McDonald Passed

Remembering Norm Macdonald

Norm Macdonald -- a veteran comedian, actor, writer and producer famous for 'SNL' and more -- has died.

According to his team, Macdonald passed away Tuesday after a multi-year, private battle with cancer that he kept hidden from the public, fighting the disease behind the scenes for nine years.

The revelation is absolutely stunning ... as Macdonald was a household name in comedy, and has been for decades. He's perhaps most famous for being one of the OG 'Weekend Update' co-hosts on 'Saturday Night Live' -- among many other TV shows and movies over the years.

He starred on 'SNL' from '93 to '98 ... what many consider the glory years of the improv series. Like many other comedians, 'Saturday' gave Norm his jumpstart -- and his career only skyrocketed from there.

Norm went on to star in (and make a number of memorable cameos) in famous flicks like 'Billy Madison,' 'Dirty Work,' 'Dr. Doolittle,' 'Screwed,' 'Deuce Bigalow,' 'Man on the Moon' ... and several other Sandler flicks. He also had his own sitcom, "Norm" ... plus his own talk show at varying points. Speaking of late-night, Norm was a regular guest for David Letterman, Conan O'Brien, Jimmy Fallon, Larry King, Jay Leno, Howard Stern ... and many other iconic hosts.

His TV resume is just as impressive -- he starred in (and wrote for) 'Roseanne,' 'My Name is Earl,' 'The Drew Carey Show,' 'Family Guy,' 'The Fairly Odd Parents,' 'The Orville,' 'The Middle,' 'Sunnyside,' 'A Minute with Stan Hooper,' and many, many others.

Courtesy of TMZ
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Comedian Norm McDonald Passed

Gone far, far too soon. And to learn that he had fought his battle with cancer for nine years is beyond heartbreaking. 

I thought Norm was brilliant. His ascerbic yet deadpan delivery was art in and of itself. I will never forget him "playing" Burt Reynolds years ago on SNL.

A talented writer, comic and actor, he had it all. Although he never graduated from high school, aspired to and achieved his dreams. Thank you Norm for bestowing the best gift of all on us - laughter..

May he rest in peace.

Valued Contributor

@DSD2 wrote:

... I thought Norm was brilliant. His ascerbic yet deadpan delivery was art in and of itself. I will never forget him "playing" Burt Reynolds years ago on SNL.

Thank you Norm for bestowing the best gift of all on us - laughter..

May he rest in peace.

I agree - R.I.P. Norm Heart

Honored Contributor

That just breaks my heart to hear.  💔

Respected Contributor

norm played uncle rusty in the middle,one of my favorite sitcoms.his sense of humor was so dry,he was hilarious.he will be missed

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for letting us know @KingstonsMom.

Like @DSD2 and @LavernLuvsShoes I watched him on SNL and laughed at his impersonation of Burt Reynolds. He was always funny, not mean. 

And like @Luvsmyfam said, he was great as Uncle Rusty on The Middle.

I saw him on a lot. His comedic talents kept me laughing.

There are a lot of sad actors and comedians today.

He was another one who was always supposed to be there. I'm sad too.  

Honored Contributor

@DSD2 

Well said!!

Bravo.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

He was only 61. I didn't even know that he was ill.

May he rest in peace.

😢 💔

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

None of the public knew, he suffered in silence for 9 years with cancer.

That shows you his spirit......

Honored Contributor

I am sorry to hear about the passing of Norm McDonald, another SNL great who went on to entertain us in movies and TV and most importantly for me, made us laugh!  The comedians who have the gift of making us laugh are always welcome in our lives.  Norm certainly achieved that talent and much more.  I loved him on SNL!

May he be at peace and know he left us with his legacy of humor and entertainment.