Super Contributor

Re: Comcast moving TCM to Sports Entertainment Package

OMG! That's my fav channel. If Direct TV did that to me I'm afraid it would be time to cut the cord. I would be the last straw. I've been messin with that idea for such a long time anyway and it would be the push I need to cut the cord

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Mary Bailey :  We have DISH plus Prime and Netflix.  The latter two sometimes charge for "hot movies" and I don't bite!  Instead I wait for Redbox or I buy used movies on Amazon.  Last week I bought a boxed set of "Six Feet Under" for $20.

@patbzthat's a great price!  I try to buy new or almost new.  To rent on Uverse it's usually $6+ so I try to buy around that price unless it's boxed set of course.

Honored Contributor

Comcast puts CMT shows in this package too, that is why I was unable to see last season of Nashville. We get the CMT music video channel but not the one with the shows. I love TCM for many reassons but not for an extra $10 per month. 

Honored Contributor

My latest Comcast package includes Netflix at no extra charge. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well, sayonara TCM ... won't be ordering a sports package, so that's it for us.   

I wonder what will happen to the movies I've recorded from TCM ... will they automatically be deleted?

Esteemed Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

These companies are getting ridiculous with all of these ancillary charges to the point where it is more beneficial to just subscribe directly to the channels (CBS, NBC, Epix). It only cost $5.99 to subscribe directly to some of them.

I think that if you were already receiving this channel as part of your package you should not have to pay the new charges (regardless of viewership). A smart company should start with new customers when implementing a change like this...just my opinion.

Not so @GAQShopr53   ...  we've already lost all the Cinemax channels with little notice.   When I called to complain, Comcast offered to reinstate the three channels but we would have had to give up the WE, Sundance and WGN America channels in it's place.   Told them "thanks, but no thanks."     

We're shopping for another cable provider but they are all just as bad.

Respected Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

These companies are getting ridiculous with all of these ancillary charges to the point where it is more beneficial to just subscribe directly to the channels (CBS, NBC, Epix). It only cost $5.99 to subscribe directly to some of them.

I think that if you were already receiving this channel as part of your package you should not have to pay the new charges (regardless of viewership). A smart company should start with new customers when implementing a change like this...just my opinion.

Not so @GAQShopr53   ...  we've already lost all the Cinemax channels with little notice.   When I called to complain, Comcast offered to reinstate the three channels but we would have had to give up the WE, Sundance and WGN America channels in it's place.   Told them "thanks, but no thanks."     

We're shopping for another cable provider but they are all just as bad.

@SoX I have Directv for now and over the last 10 years I have only lost 2 channels. Just so happen they were sports channels and I was okay with that. I still think it is not right to change packages and want people to pay additional monies once a person is already paying for the channel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caffeina 

When I was looking to cut the cord....some of the alternatives did not include TCM....Sling TV did  but Sling TV added TCM to the Hollywood Extra Tier. TCM joins Epix and SundanceTV on the tier, which costs $5 above the base subscription price. So you cant win for losing.....

The Orange & Blue Package would have cost me $40 a month, then $5 for TCM and Hollywood Extra Tier, and then $35 for NFL Network & Red Zone (Im a football fan)....plus my separate internet $69.99 without the bundling discount.  A total of $150......Im sticking with my CABLE!!!  I pay $139....We have an independent cable service which promises to always be cheaper than Spectrum...and it is! .

I stuck with cable...and TCM is part of a premium channel package, but not the sports tier......the sports tier on my cable is strictly sports and its $4.99 a month....As a sports fan I do pay it to get the NFL Network, Red Zone, and NBA TV....I could care less about some of the other channels on it....

You have to be careful when you cut the cord because in addition to the basic package you find yourself adding $5 to get your local channels, and another $5 to get other channels on a separate tier that you like, so you might end up spending more....or you have to make the decision to cut the chord and go without some of the channels you used to like to watch...OR you can try an antenna to get local channels but that can be hit or miss depending on where your towers are located

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”