Honored Contributor

Re: Classic Movie Fans: Do you read the credits?

@MarnieRez3 

My favorite type of credits you mostly find on older movies, the ones in which they show a picture of the actor/actress and his or her name.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach 

Yes, those credits are so classic - and they really help me to learn which actor played which character.

Honored Contributor

I read the credits for all films I see.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I read them too. Even though they always have the actors listed in the beginning of the film, I often see familiar faces during the movie but can’t put a name to them.  So I wait until the end when they show the character’s name and the actor that played them.  There were so many character actors back in the day.  Side note:  Have you ever noticed that some famous actors always had a side kick character actor in each of their movies?  Like, Errol Flynn and Alan Hale, Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan as a couple of examples.

I also watch the credits on many movies to find out where they were filmed. I find it interesting some of the places that have acted as stand-ins for others.

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette 

Oh those character actors are always my favorite! I never really noticed the "sidekick" character actors, but now that you point them out, it does seem Cary Grant movies often have the brilliant and adorable character actor Edward Everett Horton in them too!

I love seeing Charles Coburn - he is always smoking cigars - and Walter Brennan and . Thomas Mitchell. (I think, back in the day, Lee Marvin was considered a character actor too, although he certainly can hold his own as a lead actor.) And Arthur Treacher always played a butler - long before he became Merv Griffin's "sidekick" on his talk show! 

I often see Judith Anderson, Geraldine Fitzgerald and Agnes Morehead in supporting roles and they steal the movie right out from under the main leads. But Hattie McDaniel and Thelma Ritter are my all-time favorite character actors. Thelma Ritter's voice is so fantastic!!

Respected Contributor

Yes, I always do.  I love to see who the clothing designer is, who does the make-up as well as the director.  Also, I always check the cast to see which actors went on to become well known.  I love TCM.

Respected Contributor

Speaking of movie credits, 'The Women' is on TCM tonight.  Talk about costumes!!  The hats alone and all the sequins and furs.  A young Rosalind Russell and a young Joan Crawford.  Adrian is credited for costume.  Outrageous get-ups these women wore. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Yes.  And this is not just because I majored in Theatre/Film a hundred years ago.  A film is not officially over until the credits have ended.

And that's why I stopped doing something I'd never thought I'd do: Going to the movie theater.  I remember sitting there, watching a film and when the credits began to roll, the house lights came on and someone started vacuuming under my seat.

I expressed the point above.  The film was not over.  I almost asked for a refund. 

And I hate what the cable stations are doing.  As soon as the credits begin they shrink to a small screen and previews for something else begin.  Not only am I missing the credits but I'm missing the music at the end of the film.

And I'm not allowed that time during the credits to sit and process my experience. 

It's vile.  Those people listed in the credits are never seen by the public.  Their names are no longer attached to the project.  Why is this allowed?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarnieRez3 Since I was young I've been reading the credits. There were always one of two make-up artists listed. It was either Ben Nye or William Tuttle. What did that mean to me when I was a teen? I have no idea. I remember seeing Perc Westmore on an early television show. My mom would say, 'oh, Perc Westmore!' I must have gotten her gene.

And the movie score. Always had to know who dunnit. The Sweet Smell of Success was great. Elmer Bernstein I believe. My GF got the album. Picnic. omgosh, that music. Morris Stoloff. I have seen his name on countless movies before Picnic. My Own True Love from GWTW. Max Steiner.Beautiful. You will see his name on sooooooo many movie casts. And on and on.

Bonnie Cashin did the gowns for Laura. Her company was called Cashin Fashion. How catchy is that? I'd love to have that hat Laura wore. (see my atavarWoman Happy)

Respected Contributor

@MarnieRez3Tut Tut.  Shouldn't lump the Grips in with the caterers!  Grips are responsible for all the Equipment on the set.  No camera set up, no movie.  

But yeah, the assistant to the assistant of the assistant to "C.B." Himself. is a bit much.

And what about the list of 'Production babies"?  That's an interesting new addition to the credit list of some of the longer "in production" movies.