Respected Contributor

Realize this is a highly acclaimed/rated film and attempted to watch numerous times.  Ran across it on TCM earlier and probably watched more than ever.

I just don't "get" it?  Realize its excellence is based on cinematography, etc. but what am I missing???

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

Except for some marvelous cinematography and the presence of Agnes Moorehead, I've never been much of a fan.

If you haven't seen it, I do recommend Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons, which I find absolutely majestic and a near masterpiece. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't get it either...always fall asleep watching it...

Honored Contributor

@denisemb ,

Count me in too. I've tried to watch all the way through several times. I don't get its acclaim either.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

never seen it either but I believe part of the acclaim is Welles writing directing and vision  and youth 

and basing it on Hearst who was powerful at that time

Honored Contributor

Re: Citizen Kane - ARGHHHH

[ Edited ]

Studying theater and film for many years, I can read all the reasons it is supposed to be great, and still not quite get why. All I know with my clueless self is I didn't enjoy it at all and could barely get thru it. I just remember Orson Wells yelling a lot. Look at this-

Why Citizen Kane Is The Most Important American Film Ever Made

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

It was a thinly veiled account of Herst's life. A real shocker in those days.

Welles' youth. And that thing about Rosebud. I never got it either,but I am a big fan of Joseph Cotton.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Wasn't Ruth Warick(sp) in it? She went on to play Phobe in a soap opera. She also was caught in the commie thing in Hollywood. There a lot of misspellings and voids in my reply,forgive me.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Citizen Kane - ARGHHHH

[ Edited ]

Yes, Kane was Ruth's film debut and the pinnacle of her movie career.  She did few films of substance after, except maybe for Song of the South and Crawford's Daisy Kenyon.

Respected Contributor

I am the odd one out....I love that movie!  It was beautifully filmed, and I found the story to be compelling.

There are lots of movies considered classics that I don't care for, though.  We all have different tastes!