Valued Contributor

Re: Chrisley Knows Best fraud trial

@colliemom4 wrote:

@justashopper wrote:

@colliemom4 

Hi

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.  Are they guilty?  We shall see.  I have watched the show and kind of have a love hate opinion.  In some ways they seem like a nice family that has had some success in life.  On the other hand, there is something little off-- is it for tv?  I don't know. LOL.

But we can always count on---  Uncle Sam gets his money.  It doesn't matter who you are.  death and taxes. The great equalizers for sure!

@justashopper  I feel the same way you do about them. I will also be interested to see how this all turns out. I've always wondered where they got so much money when they don't really seem to work. I googled it and it the search results say Todd became wealthy selling real estate but have also read that he owes out as much as he is worth.

I've always felt like there was something a little off there. Also, blaming an employee? How convenient. They've already settled a 2 million dollar tax evasion charge by agreeing to pay $148,000. This took place in Georgia in 2019.

~~~~~~~~~~~

@colliemom4 

Quote from above:   

....."They've already settled a 2 million dollar tax evasion charge by agreeing to pay $148,000. This took place in Georgia in 2019."

HOLY SMOKES!  

The Chrisley's paid  7.4%  of  $2,000,000  owed???

(= $148,000  - Chrisley's paid)

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

Except for the Kard's, all those reality shows, are the kiss of death.  Sooner or later, any way.  

Honored Contributor

Being very weird is a prerequisite for having a reality show about your life. Plus you have to have a really nice home and cool stuff and an interesting wardrobe and exotic activities. Beyond what the average viewer would typically experience. I would bet that most reality stars spend a lot more money on their lifestyle than they make.

So only people who are not very good with money would stick to something like that, losing money year after year, either fast or slow. And even when they realize they're in the hole, they're kind of stuck. If they are making money off of name recognition, when the fame stops they'll be in an even worse position.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

A former employee of Todd and Julie Chrisley's who told the FBI he committed bank fraud on their behalf testified in court on Monday that he and Todd Chrisley had an "intimate" relationship. Mark Braddock said he met Todd Chrisley, a reality-TV personality who's on trial on charges of bank and tax fraud, at a school function for their children in the early 2000s and became friends two years later when they lived in the same neighborhood.

Braddock said he altered documents to help the Chrisleys get loans. When prosecutors asked why he would commit fraud for Chrisley, Braddock replied, "I was complicit in giving him what he needed." "We had a personal relationship of an intimate nature," he said. "I would do whatever he needed to get done."

Braddock testified that he then began working for Chrisley's Executive Asset Management, a company that managed and sold foreclosed properties. He said he helped grow the company from two employees to 60 and later worked for a similar company that Chrisley founded after Executive Asset Management was sold in 2005. Braddock testified that Chrisley burned through more than $3.5 million from the sale of the first company in a year by buying Bentleys, other luxury cars, designer clothes, and more. Braddock said that a few years later, when the second half of the $8 million payment came through, Chrisley also burned through that money.

Braddock testified that he used Microsoft Word to create fake documents inflating the Chrisleys' income and the amount of money in their account to make it look as if they were wealthier than they were in order to acquire loans on their behalf. The Chrisleys fired Braddock in 2012. Todd Chrisley has since alleged that Braddock stole money from his family. Braddock went to the FBI after his firing and told officials that he'd committed financial crimes on the Chrisleys' behalf. Before the family became famous with their show, "Chrisley Knows Best," the government granted Braddock immunity in exchange for his cooperation in the case.

The immunity agreement did not prohibit other federal attorneys' offices or state governments from prosecuting him on separate charges. Prosecutors on Monday asked Braddock if he was aware that if he were to lie to the jury he would be charged with perjury. "There is not a doubt in my mind," he said.

Honored Contributor

I do remember that monstrosity of a house that they lived in in Atlanta years ago...Then rumors came out about them having financial woes, and then they "downsized to  a smaller home in Nashville. A few years ago they moved into a larger home in Nashville.

Plus both Savannah and Chase have their own homes, nice ones and I haven't seen Chase go to a job, although I think Savannah had or has her own cosmetic line. 

They have very nice, expensive cars and gorgeous furnishings in their homes, so one wonders if they were living well above their means for a very long time! Sometimes when you get used to that lifestyle it can be very difficult to give up, you want all those perks that come from being "rich"!!!

Its very sad actually! I get a kick out of their show and hope they are able to rise above this and change their habits if necessary.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4Geez! That's a lot. I might need to follow this trial. I like the ones where there's scandal but no one was murdered or abused and no kids were victims. So this one might fit the bill.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr