Respected Contributor

Re: Chris Hardwicke's former girlfriend accuses him of abuse

@RainCityWoman

Don't worry. I am sure it will eventually go back to the way it was where those in power can get away with anything and no one ever believes the victim nor holds the perp accountable. Ah the good old days. This doesn't ONLY happen in Hollywood, you know. The option in the world of business is either to take what is dished out or to simply leave a job you were educated to do and do well while the perpetrator gets away with it. This woman, by the way, did not name the man.

Please, do not think that any of us are defending any person that abuses another.

I do not think that it will ever go back to the way that it was & I think the world will be better because of it.

People are notincing when women or men are being made uncomfortable by talk or actions. 

I do not "know" Chris Hardwicke, but he is a tiny little, squirrely sort of dude.

I'm not saything that he couldn't have intimidated this woman, but when you read her account there is no doubt that she has her own issues. 

And, saying that she didn't name him! She described him in every way that she possibly could to make sure that everyone knew, without adding "And, his initials are CH.".

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

i think this whole thing has gotten to the point  of RAISE YOUR  HAND IF you have NOT abused in some way.---tedEbear

Honored Contributor

The thing that gets me is any unscrupulous woman can have a grudge against some guy she worked with or dated and as revenge say, "ABUSE!" Most of those accused will suffer somehow, either losing their jobs or jeopardizing their family situations. 

I'm glad women finally have the freedom to speak up, and the Hollywood "casting couch" is a thing of the past. Some men are guilty of taking advantage of others. 

BUT - I don't believe EVERY woman who has brought charges or spoken out to the media. I think before taking someone's job away instantly, there should be some kind of investigation. Some men are innocent.

Years ago when I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher wanted me to counsel a senior boy who was failing. He was a nice young man who was very popular. I took him in a conference room and closed the door because I wanted privacy and didn't want other students to hear he was failing. The assistant principal at the school was all over me. He said that with the door closed, that boy could have said anything happened, and asked me who I thought they would believe. Then he said, "not you." He told me to always leave the door open a crack. I still remember that day, and I've never had a closed door conference with a student since! And this was WAY before what is going on today! 

Trusted Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Why didn't she say something at the time instead of waiting until he was married and expecting a child? I find that interesting, now he is being punished before the facts are even known.

@RetRN Because she’s a psychotic, vindictive jerk who is incapable of taking responsibility for her own behavior during a bad relationship.

And you know this how? 

@RainCityWoman I “know this how,” because I read her article, and I see numerous red flags which lead me to this conclusion.

First, this woman already had established psychological problems.  She was anorexic, therefore not a healthy, stable young woman.  

Second, she paints a picture of being a prisoner who wasn’t allowed to leave her apartment at night, talk to others in public, or have pictures of other men in her apartment.  HER apartment?  It seems like she wasn’t chained to a bed in his home.  She was in HER home where she eventually started pulling her own hair out of her own head.  He didn’t do that.  “I did what he said.  Including LET him sexually assault me.”  She didn’t say, “He raped me,” she said “I let him.”  “I made the CHOICE to accept his behavior,” she said.  Very interesting choice of words.

Finally, they were together for 3 years.  Not a nightmarish 6 months, but 3 whole years. When she met another man and told Hardwick she was leaving him, what do you think happened?  Did he beat her, rape her, or threaten her?  No.  He begged her to stay with him and told her he was about to propose.  She claims that following the relationship, he and another woman in show business tried to have her blacklisted to destroy her career.  She provides no evidence - no name of the woman who attempted to help Hardwick destroy her, and no name of a colleague or friend who could verify this was happening to her.

I believe he was probably controlling, but only to an extent which was not abusive.  She was ill throughout the relationship and based how she chooses her words and describes having suicidal thoughts, I believe she has gotten worse.  What I took away from the article was that she is a sick person who convinced herself that she had to do much of the things she did in order to make him happy, but that he was not insistent on most of what she claims he made her do.  I don’t believe the fact that she refuses to name him in the article is out of cowardice or refusal to name her abuser to give him any more of her time. I believe it’s because she knows he may be able to provide evidence to prove that she’s lying.  And if he does come up with evidence or witnesses, he won’t be able to sue her.  She can say whatever she wants, because she didn’t say it was him.  

This is my personal opinion based on what I read.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 In my opinion, it's not up to the studios nor the media to provide her or other alleged victims of abuse with 'closure'... even assuming that's truly what she's seeking...

@stevieb

Of course it isn't.   That was her intention .... to achieve it for herself .....  by writing that article, which didn't mention his name  ....  which you apparently didn't bother to read.

Yes @Tinkrbl44 I did read it... That she didn't mention any names is a false positive if everyone knew to whom she was referring... as apparently they do... If all she wanted was closure there was no need to write an 'article' at all... Clearly, seeking to publish her tome would indicate that 'closure' was not her only agenda... I feel badly for her, but the fact seems to be that the worlds of two emotionally needy whack jobs collided... and very sadly but not uncommonly, she didn't have the ego strength to walk away... 

@stevieb

So if this was simply a romantic relationship that went wrong, WHY did the network or production company suspend him?  That's what I'm interested in knowing.

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 In my opinion, it's not up to the studios nor the media to provide her or other alleged victims of abuse with 'closure'... even assuming that's truly what she's seeking...

@stevieb

Of course it isn't.   That was her intention .... to achieve it for herself .....  by writing that article, which didn't mention his name  ....  which you apparently didn't bother to read.

Yes @Tinkrbl44 I did read it... That she didn't mention any names is a false positive if everyone knew to whom she was referring... as apparently they do... If all she wanted was closure there was no need to write an 'article' at all... Clearly, seeking to publish her tome would indicate that 'closure' was not her only agenda... I feel badly for her, but the fact seems to be that the worlds of two emotionally needy whack jobs collided... and very sadly but not uncommonly, she didn't have the ego strength to walk away... 

@stevieb

So if this was simply a romantic relationship that went wrong, WHY did the network or production company suspend him?  That's what I'm interested in knowing.

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb

@stevieb

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb

@stevieb

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb

@stevieb

I would venture to say the reason the network or production company chose to suspend him is because if they did nothing to punish him, people would start condemning them for it.  They would threaten they would no longer watch the channel. That would cause ratings to go down, and we all know that would mean the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb

@stevieb

I would venture to say the reason the network or production company chose to suspend him is because if they did nothing to punish him, people would start condemning them for it.  They would threaten they would no longer watch the channel. That would cause ratings to go down, and we all know that would mean the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars and because of that, the accused is no longer of any importance, and is left hanging.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Why didn't she say something at the time instead of waiting until he was married and expecting a child? I find that interesting, now he is being punished before the facts are even known.

@RetRN Because she’s a psychotic, vindictive jerk who is incapable of taking responsibility for her own behavior during a bad relationship.

And you know this how? 

@RainCityWoman I “know this how,” because I read her article, and I see numerous red flags which lead me to this conclusion.

First, this woman already had established psychological problems.  She was anorexic, therefore not a healthy, stable young woman.  

Second, she paints a picture of being a prisoner who wasn’t allowed to leave her apartment at night, talk to others in public, or have pictures of other men in her apartment.  HER apartment?  It seems like she wasn’t chained to a bed in his home.  She was in HER home where she eventually started pulling her own hair out of her own head.  He didn’t do that.  “I did what he said.  Including LET him sexually assault me.”  She didn’t say, “He raped me,” she said “I let him.”  “I made the CHOICE to accept his behavior,” she said.  Very interesting choice of words.

Finally, they were together for 3 years.  Not a nightmarish 6 months, but 3 whole years. When she met another man and told Hardwick she was leaving him, what do you think happened?  Did he beat her, rape her, or threaten her?  No.  He begged her to stay with him and told her he was about to propose.  She claims that following the relationship, he and another woman in show business tried to have her blacklisted to destroy her career.  She provides no evidence - no name of the woman who attempted to help Hardwick destroy her, and no name of a colleague or friend who could verify this was happening to her.

I believe he was probably controlling, but only to an extent which was not abusive.  She was ill throughout the relationship and based how she chooses her words and describes having suicidal thoughts, I believe she has gotten worse.  What I took away from the article was that she is a sick person who convinced herself that she had to do much of the things she did in order to make him happy, but that he was not insistent on most of what she claims he made her do.  I don’t believe the fact that she refuses to name him in the article is out of cowardice or refusal to name her abuser to give him any more of her time. I believe it’s because she knows he may be able to provide evidence to prove that she’s lying.  And if he does come up with evidence or witnesses, he won’t be able to sue her.  She can say whatever she wants, because she didn’t say it was him.  

This is my personal opinion based on what I read.

Yes, I believe calling her a psychotic, vindictive jerk is YOUR opinion. But thanks for your "expert" analysis between the lines  on her diagnosis.

Trusted Contributor

@TenderMercies, thanks for writing what I was thinking!  Not trying to minimize or downplay assault by any means; however, when you start reading between the lines in this case, the B.S. comes to the surface rather quickly.

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Dusty1 wrote:

What happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty?

How can you take away someone's life & job because someone says that they did something? 

Things seem to be happening really fast with these things.

I agree that what Roseanne Barr actually said was awful & deserved to be addressed.

But, they immediately cancel a show & take way jobs from a lot of innocent people.

This woman says that Chris Hardwicke abused her & they jump right into taking away his job?

Don't worry. I am sure it will eventually go back to the way it was where those in power can get away with anything and no one ever believes the victim nor holds the perp accountable. Ah the good old days. This doesn't ONLY happen in Hollywood, you know. The option in the world of business is either to take what is dished out or to simply leave a job you were educated to do and do well while the perpetrator gets away with it. This woman, by the way, did not name the man.

@RainCityWoman  This accusation has nothing to do with the business world.  It was a personal relationship.  Her article clearly indicates who this was-it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure it out.

While I am not minimizing abuse, be it in a relationship or in the work place, I find this suspension of CW going overboard with "correctness".  Had he been what she said he was AT WORK then I would support his suspension 100%.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@RainCityWoman I never called myself an “expert,” but yes, I believe “jerk” is definitely th operative word here.