Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chicago PD 5/2/18 - Spoilers

And then Voight just does the exact same thing and kills another guy with witnesses  and expects his team to cover for him.  I mean really. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This was hard to figure out how many days passed between Al's death and when they figured this all out.  It makes me wonder if they either didn't show Al's funeral or there hasn't been a funeral yet.  Will that be brought up when the next season begins?

A part of me was thinking maybe Al didn't really die.  Maybe the doctor just said he died to get Al out of town and out of the mess he was in.  But that doesn't really make much sense because of the funeral issue.  Certainly they would all go to that.   Why Al was stabbed was also pretty lame.

Everything else was fairly obvious.  I said from the beginning that guard was in on this.  We all knew Hank was leaving or going to prison so something was going to have to happen.  It became very obvious when the DA was speaking with Woods about the new witness it was all a set-up to get something over on Woods. 

Are we to assume Antonio told the powers that be that the shooting was justified?  Otherwise Hank has that to deal with now.       

The way they did this seems to leave the door open for Al to come back however when you think about it, the character of Al really hasn't played much of a role in this show for quite awhile now.  He used to be more front and center. 

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I wonder:

No scene showing Al's death

He had a wife, nothing about her

No funeral/burial scene

The abruptness of the doctor who just said "he's gone, I'm sorry," while quickly walking away

No proof he's dead

The one caveat is the final scene with Voight breaking down.  He wouldn't have done that if he knew Al was still alive.

Waiting for next season . . .

@LilacTree

I'm with you on this one ...........   characters come back to life all the time ....  this might be some sort of set-up for  .....  is the guy's name Denny?   .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This had a GREAT ending .... in spite of Alvin's death. 

I love that Denny's bribing the witness was recorded, and he was taken away in cuffs ....  and that in spite of the set-up, Hank finished the bourbon!   LOL.   Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Tique Thank you for the clarification on Hank's "confession." I will be anxiously waiting to see what happens at the beginning of next season. Love the show.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

This was hard to figure out how many days passed between Al's death and when they figured this all out.  It makes me wonder if they either didn't show Al's funeral or there hasn't been a funeral yet.  Will that be brought up when the next season begins?

A part of me was thinking maybe Al didn't really die.  Maybe the doctor just said he died to get Al out of town and out of the mess he was in.  But that doesn't really make much sense because of the funeral issue.  Certainly they would all go to that.   Why Al was stabbed was also pretty lame.

Everything else was fairly obvious.  I said from the beginning that guard was in on this.  We all knew Hank was leaving or going to prison so something was going to have to happen.  It became very obvious when the DA was speaking with Woods about the new witness it was all a set-up to get something over on Woods. 

Are we to assume Antonio told the powers that be that the shooting was justified?  Otherwise Hank has that to deal with now.       

The way they did this seems to leave the door open for Al to come back however when you think about it, the character of Al really hasn't played much of a role in this show for quite awhile now.  He used to be more front and center. 

@Lipstickdiva  Wondering the same thing......did Al die?  We shall see!  Great program!

Valued Contributor

If they didn't really kill off Al I don't think Voight was in on it.  Judging from his last scene crying and punching walls - Al is really dead - although I wish he wasn't!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  @Tinkrbl44  @ScarletDove  

In Message 38 of this post I copied a paragraph from an interview I read with one of the writers.  He was discussing why they decided to kill off Al.  Voight had to have some kind of punishment for killing his son's murderer and they thought having his best friend die this way would be a good way to punish him.  Al is definitely dead.  If you Google "why is Al dead" there are many sites that will confirm that he is. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I wonder:

No scene showing Al's death

He had a wife, nothing about her

No funeral/burial scene

The abruptness of the doctor who just said "he's gone, I'm sorry," while quickly walking away

No proof he's dead

The one caveat is the final scene with Voight breaking down.  He wouldn't have done that if he knew Al was still alive.

Waiting for next season . . .

@LilacTree  Did you read my post right above yours?  I posted a paragraph from an interview with one of the writers.  I do think Al is dead.

@NickNack

Yes, I read that too.  Guess we have to accept they chose to kill off the character and must have their reasons.  Hard to accept though with such a lovely man who I think contributed so much to the show.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Lipstickdiva  @Tinkrbl44  @ScarletDove  

In Message 38 of this post I copied a paragraph from an interview I read with one of the writers.  He was discussing why they decided to kill off Al.  Voight had to have some kind of punishment for killing his son's murderer and they thought having his best friend die this way would be a good way to punish him.  Al is definitely dead.  If you Google "why is Al dead" there are many sites that will confirm that he is. 

@NickNack  Thanks for that info....I suppose the love for the character makes it difficult to accept losing Al.  I think Voight's emotional distress at the end of the episode said it all, confirming that payback to Voight.  Difficult!