Honored Contributor

Re: Chicago PD 5/2/18 - Spoilders

Not pleased with tonight's show.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@Tique  Am I correct in assuming because of Al's death? I was unhappy when they quickly let Al die at the beginning of the show. I wanted him to make it.  The only redeeming factor  was that Voight got Woods in the end. Let's see how the team deals with Al's death, next season.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

Re: Chicago PD 5/2/18 - Spoilers

Can someone clarify for me....didn't Hank confess to Woods and that other guy before Al died? I thought it was being recorded on Woods' phone.

Valued Contributor

@Coquille wrote:

@Tique wrote:

@Tique  Am I correct in assuming because of Al's death? I was unhappy when they quickly let Al die at the beginning of the show. I wanted him to make it.  The only redeeming factor  was that Voight got Woods in the end. Let's see how the team deals with Al's death, next season.

I can't believe they killed off Al.  He was my favorite character on the show.  I also miss Erin and all her problems.    Voight is a very strong character that I like, and I loved the relationship he had with Al,  but the others are just so-so.  Not sure I will continue to watch.

Honored Contributor

@Coquille   I hate that Al was murdered because Denny was trying to force Voight to step up and admit he was the one who killed his son's killer. Even though I agree with Hank about Denny being in it for himself, I have never been a fan of Hank Voight's - probably because I "met" him before he became this so-called "hero cop" on Chicago P.D.

@daisy4   you are right about the relationship that Voight and Al had; however, I'm not so sure Voight would have done the same thing for Al. I also feel the relationship between Voight and his squad is never going to be the same because most of them know who killed Voight's son. Eventually they will start thinking if Voight allowed this to happen to his best friend, what might happen to one of them.

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

Can someone clarify for me....didn't Hank confess to Woods and that other guy before Al died? I thought it was being recorded on Woods' phone.

@wakefield64   Hank didn't confess. He was doing what people used to call "hedging his bet" by saying "hypothetically, if I did --------". He was trying to ensure that Al would be released if he did the right thing. Voight specified that nothing was to be taped until he knew the answer to that question. When the DA came to Denny's house, it looked like Voight was about to confess but he got the text so he jumped up and ran to the hospital. Then after Al died, Voight felt there was no longer a need for him to confess.

Honored Contributor

Unless the actor wanted out of the show, I don't understand the ending.  This is a hit show that probably has several seasons ahead of it.  Al was an interesting character, so I can't see the producers wanting him gone.

I will continue to watch, but I think the whole dynamic of the series has changed now.  Hank will never get over the guilt, and his team will never forgive him, as they all loved Al.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I was very disappointed in the season finale, too.  I really didn't think Al would die.  I Googled it and found several things.  This is a paragraph from an article in Us Weekly.  It's from an interview with one of the writers.  

“It just evolved from a story telling perspective. Once we started down the road of Woods and Voight going at each other, Bingham’s body being recovered and Olinsky’s DNA being found on that body, we started playing it out to its creative, dramatic conclusion, it just felt like an interesting way to wrap up that storyline,” Eid says. “I think the real creative idea behind it all was that we felt like Voight killing Bingham needed to ultimately, cost him something. There needed to be a consequence to what he did. We thought that possibly losing his best friend became this interesting idea that we all graduated toward. We could see this long arc playing out in that direction.”

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

The more I think about it, the more I wonder:

No scene showing Al's death

He had a wife, nothing about her

No funeral/burial scene

The abruptness of the doctor who just said "he's gone, I'm sorry," while quickly walking away

No proof he's dead

The one caveat is the final scene with Voight breaking down.  He wouldn't have done that if he knew Al was still alive.

Waiting for next season . . .

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I wonder:

No scene showing Al's death

He had a wife, nothing about her

No funeral/burial scene

The abruptness of the doctor who just said "he's gone, I'm sorry," while quickly walking away

No proof he's dead

The one caveat is the final scene with Voight breaking down.  He wouldn't have done that if he knew Al was still alive.

Waiting for next season . . .

@LilacTree  Did you read my post right above yours?  I posted a paragraph from an interview with one of the writers.  I do think Al is dead.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau