Honored Contributor

Re: Chicago Med

[ Edited ]

As much as I enjoy the show, I may have to give up on it.  I'm afraid it's going to become the soapbox of the week trying to force social issues on us.  This week it was immigration.  It's not just this show.  I have been giving up shows forever due to this issue, all the way back to Quincy and the District.  I don't want to be preached to from my entertainment. Well, there's always the Murder Channel and Nat Geo.

Honored Contributor

Re: Chicago Med

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

As much as I enjoy the show, I may have to give up on it.  I'm afraid it's going to become the soapbox of the week trying to force social issues on us.  This week it was immigration.  It's not just this show.  I have been giving up shows forever due to this issue, all the way back to Quincy and the District.  I don't want to be preached to from my entertainment. Well, there's always the Murder Channel and Nat Geo.

@Icegoddess

Hmm.   Interesting take you have.  I find the writers bringing in storylines that mirror current events to further "humanize" some issues.  They even do it on sitcoms.  So what?  

I've never gotten the feeling that any show was trying to "force" any social issue on me, just attempting to have current storylines.   Seeing different points of view is always interesting to me ....  JMO.  

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I agree completely.  Sick to death of it.  Makes me want to turn off and never watch again.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I agree about bringing in stories about issues that are going on today. What are they supposed to write about? Things that happened 30 or 40 years ago. Just because it's the theme of the show, I don't feel it's preaching either.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Not a fan of the crossover shows b/c I don’t care for Chi PD.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

They can have intriguing shows without bringing politics into it.  Or, if they are going to do that, show both sides, not just the one-sided viewpoint the writers obviously want us to see. Actually, had they not thrown ICE into the mix I would've been ok with the storyline although I would prefer not to get an entire speech about how terrible it is for illegal immigrants and how the government is separating families.  He could've simply stated that he was illegal as was his pregnant wife and his fear of being deported.

I really have to wonder if it actually won't have an unintended effect than the writers wanted.  Had I been an illegal immigrant watching the show, it would have cemented my opinion that I should stay away from hospitals.  I knew as soon as they put his name in the system that ICE was going to show up.  However, they could've actually had ICE not find out and have a better outcome.  It would humanize the plight of illegal immigrants AND show illegal immigrants that it is safe for them to seek health care.  Sure, it wouldn't have that unhappy ending they wanted, but they could easily have another unhappy ending with one of the other patients.  Or, maybe have Junkie Lawyer Lady run him down with her Lexus because she thought he was getting better treatment than she was.  Now, there's an unhappy ending for you.  Speaking of Junkie Lawyer Lady, I was never clear on whether she got her drugs or not after the doctor handed her over to Admin.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

Not a fan of the crossover shows b/c I don’t care for Chi PD.

@LTT1, I don't care for the crossover shows either.  As it is, I have to record Chicago Med since I'm not at home when it's on. If they have a crossover show I have to remember to add it to the recording schedule and then I have to watch it on a diffrent night because I don't have time to watch 2 or 3 shows after I get home ..... and I don't really care for either of the other shows, especially PD.

Honored Contributor

It's very clear to me some of these shows have an agenda they are pushing.  I was fine with the illegal immigrant story until twice we got a speech from Natalie about the scary times our country is in now.

That new female intern is very intersting to say the least.  LOL    

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It's very clear to me some of these shows have an agenda they are pushing.  I was fine with the illegal immigrant story until twice we got a speech from Natalie about the scary times our country is in now.

That new female intern is very intersting to say the least.  LOL    

The quirky new intern is actress, Molly Bernard, she is also a regular on Younger, and she is just as quirky on there too!!

What happened to Aprils bro, Noah?

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't put it past Natalie monkeying with the equipment so that the lady would choose surgery over dying to save her baby that wasn't going to live anyways assuming she had the technical know-how to do it.  She has really pushed the line in the past; she just comes off differently than the quirky new intern so it's easier to stomach.