Honored Contributor

Lots of director Elia Kazan there!  Love his work.  Caught his America, America the other night, and joyfully viewed it for the 10th (or so) time in my life.  When I first saw it in the early '60s, a light went on.  For the first time I had an understanding of what it was like for my father and my maternal grandparents to arrive in America and go through the Ellis Island experience. 

Primary, though, was the understanding the viewer comes away with of what it is like to live under despotic rule (Greeks were part of the Ottoman Empire for the period represented in this film, and the main character makes his way out of Anatolia, which was part of the Ottoman Empire at that time -- it is now part of modern Turkey).  Really, this film should be required viewing for every person who calls himself or herself an "American."  After viewing this saga, the viewer better understands what this country represents.   The U.S. has always had the promise of offering freedom of thought, speech, religion, economic independence, etc.,  to the refugees arriving on its shores.  I remember crying freely when I saw this film the first time; it was the protagonist's joy of arriving in America that made me think that this must have been what my dear father experienced when he first caught a glimpse of our shores. 

Honored Contributor

I've had 'Splendor in the Grass' and 'Come Back, Little Sheba' scheduled for some time now.  Splendor is currently recording and the other one is tonight.

The only reason I want to see CBLS is that I have never seen Shirley Booth in anything other than 'Hazel' and I had read that she was brilliant in this pic.  I don't even know anything about it, aside from the fact that she's in it.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've had 'Splendor in the Grass' and 'Come Back, Little Sheba' scheduled for some time now.  Splendor is currently recording and the other one is tonight.

The only reason I want to see CBLS is that I have never seen Shirley Booth in anything other than 'Hazel' and I had read that she was brilliant in this pic.  I don't even know anything about it, aside from the fact that she's in it.  Smiley Happy

I've always liked CBLS, and it hasn't been on for a long time. I've got it down for recording. Along with East of Eden.

I hope the new guy shows the many classics as Robert Osborne did. I miss him.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for heads up. I would have missed them. It seems I never check the channels at the right time!

Valued Contributor

Re: Check out TCM 4/28/17

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the heads up...these are some of my all time favorites. I thought Elizabeth Taylor was so beautiful in A Place In The Sun.

Honored Contributor

You all have convinced me that I simply must watch 'A Place in the Sun' again, so I am recording that next.    It really was a great movie!

Honored Contributor

Re: Check out TCM 4/28/17

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

A Summer Place, Splendor in the Grass, A Place in the Sun, East of Eden....all favorites...

All of these are tops on my list.

I love the (re-make) mini-series of East of Eden.  The theme song is one of my all time favorites. (of course this is one of my all time favorite figure skaters skating to it)

I LOVE Richard Egan's voice.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

She was amazing in it. I loved her in Hazel too. Heart