Honored Contributor

Changes in the wind for a few favorite PBS British shows

Endevour is ending it's run after Season 8.  Shaun Evens has decided to do other things.  According to Colin Dexter's will, the actor that can play Morse is Evans.  So if the star leaves, the series ends. they can't recast the roll.

Also ending is after 3 seasons will be Victoria.  Jenna Coleman wants to do other things too.  Unlike Endevour, Victoria will continue on.  There is talk of recasting the leads after Coleman leaves.

http://britishperioddramas.com/news/jenna-coleman-explains-why-shell-be-quitting-victoria/

Honored Contributor

Re: Changes in the wind for a few favorite PBS British shows

The first time I saw this, I thought, if they searched the whole world, they couldn't have found a worse person to play Morse. No resemblance whatsoever. Nothing. I really think the people who watch this show have never seen Morse. The real Morse. How it ever was a hit is beyond me. 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

The first time I saw this, I thought, if they searched the whole world, they couldn't have found a worse person to play Morse. No resemblance whatsoever. Nothing. I really think the people who watch this show have never seen Morse. The real Morse. How it ever was a hit is beyond me. 

John Thaw was Morse,

I do watch Endeavor but not as watching Morse 

it's a good show about a detective

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

John Thaw was Morse,

I tried that-yes, it is a good detective show. But every time someone called him Morse............well, you get my drift.

Valued Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

John Thaw was Morse,

---

I agree with those who say Shaun Evans is not a particularly good fit for Morse, but I have to disagree that Endeavour is only a good detective series.

I find the other characters so compelling. From Fred Thursday (Roger Allam, the original London cast Javert) to Max DeBryn to Reginald Bright, to Jim Strange, the character development has been very interesting in this series.

I will truly miss this series. I would like to contest Colin Dexter's will. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

John Thaw was Morse,

I tried that-yes, it is a good detective show. But every time someone called him Morse............well, you get my drift.

I just liked the show.  Yes, he's different from John Thaw's Morse.  Some things are similar.  Some things are different. He's short like Morse but much slighter.

For some reason the creator of Morse,  Collin Dexter decided only Evans can play Morse. And he specified in in his will.  So the show will be scraped once he leaves. In 2021, he will have played Morse for 9 years.  So it's just as well that he calls it quits.  I think he didn't want to be typecast as a specific character.

Some people wanted the series to continue in some way. (Endeavour, Morse & Lewis)  as Inspector Hathaway.  I liked the actor who played him and would have liked him to continue.  

I love Jenna Coleman as Victoria.  It will be tough to see her go.  I'm assuming her real life lover Tom Hughes (Albert) will leave also.  Now that show, they can recast.  The life of Victoria was very fascinating.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

I just liked the show.  Yes, he's different from John Thaw's Morse.  Some things are similar.  Some things are different. He's short like Morse but much slighter.

For some reason the creator of Morse,  Collin Dexter decided only Evans can play Morse. And he specified in in his will.  So the show will be scraped once he leaves. In 2021, he will have played Morse for 9 years.  So it's just as well that he calls it quits.  I think he didn't want to be typecast as a specific character.

Some people wanted the series to continue in some way. (Endeavour, Morse & Lewis)  as Inspector Hathaway I liked the actor who played him and would have liked him to continue.  

. . .

---

Shaun Evans is listed online as 5'10" tall. I know that isn't tall, but it doesn't seem short to me. Anton Lesser and James Bradshaw are both listed as 5'5, which IS short to me.

John Thaw was just so good; hence, hard to live up to. I enjoyed him so much in The Sweeney, a series he did for several years prior to Morse.

Laurence Fox (Hathaway) is currently in a bit of a "stew" in England after some comments he recently made. I thought he was good in the Inspector Lewis series. He has a great voice.

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72   He's always in a "stew"   He gets in trouble sometimes for his mouth.  He's a good actor though.  His problems started out when he dumped his wife.  Some people didn't like her.  But one minute they were married, the next he took off. He grew up in extreme privilege, (going to "Public" school Harrow) but bad mouthing the elite school.  Bragging he was a high school drop out.  He was a one of the elite Fox Family.  Nearly all the members are top actors.  This is during a time when there was heavy criticism that vast majority of actors in the UK are from privilege families and Nepotism was used frequently..   Very few are from working poor families.  Even less are from middle class families.Jenna Coleman is one of the few from middle clase background.