Trusted Contributor

This is a newer Hulu drama series. Hugh Laurie is amazing and his character, Eldon Chance, intriguing. I watched the first 2 episodes yesterday, but am savoring episode 3 to watch later tonight. Wondering how/if others liked it.

dee

Honored Contributor

Re: Chance, anyone?

[ Edited ]

@deedledeedeedle I have watched all three episodes, but purely because of Hugh Laurie. I am not sure if I would continue it if it weren't for him. He is such a versatile British actor and I not only loved him in House, but also the Night Manager movie.

I also loved the PBS (I think) show of him playing the piano in New Orleans. I play the piano, so I was interested in watching it and was surprised to see how well and natural he plays. He was very good, and if you haven't seen it, you will see yet another creative side to him. I would not be surprised to hear that he also paints. Not sure why I think that, but I could see him being a great artist too.

This current series, Chance, is quite different from anything I have seen him do. He appears to have genuine interest in doing the right thing and wants to help others, but is being drawn into some very dark areas, and I think he is going to get into a lot of trouble before the season is over, all because of "D".

I hear the networks have ordered a FULL first season, which I read somewhere is 20 episodes. If that is true, then we probably have seven more before there is a hiatus for the holidays, and then back for the other 10.

I would be interested to know what you think of the third episode after you watch it tonight. If you get a "chance," please post your impression of the third episode. I would like to know if you felt the same way I did about it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Chance, anyone?

[ Edited ]

You know, @World Traveler, Mr Laurie is the only reason I watch the show, too. This role is quite the departure for him. Playing a vulnerable man grappling with a moral dilemna suits him to a "T". It always amazes me how there is not a trace of his British accent.

He's older than when he played Gregory House, of course, but just as relevant IMO.

We have excellent taste in actors Smiley LOL

ETA:

Funny that you mentioned his music talent. Throughout the time he played House Mr Laurie was in a celebrity garage-type band. When House ended I knew I'd miss him a bunch so I purchased the Blues album. It's pretty darn good and he is a natural piano man.

dee

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle Was the album you purchased the New Orleans one? Not sure if he had more than one. I am going to try to find the program On Demand or someway else. It is definitely watching his PBS special again. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Chance wrapped up Season 2 after ten episodes. I watched the ending tonight and liked it. This season was very dark with Chance & D up to their shenanigans, although amped up.

Let's just say Chance played the judge, jury & the executioner this season. Not used to seeing Hugh Laurie portray a character like that Woman Frustrated

dee

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler,

I'm sorry I dropped the thread A YEAR AGO. Woman Surprised

Yes, the album is the one from NOLA. It is good, but a huge departure from the character of Gregory House, who I always thought of as a rock & roll guy.

dee

Honored Contributor

We haven't caught up with Season 2 yet but did like Season 1.

I wasn't thrilled with his role in Night Manager.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh