Honored Contributor

Re: Celine Dion has SPS, a rare disease

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

That's a type of scleroderma. I have scleroderma but not that kind but it's made some of my joints immobile...my hands are in permanent fists and not able to open them at all. It's all progressive. I feel badly for Celine.

This is not like Scleroderma at all.  It is an auto immune disease though @SilleeMee 

@gertrudecloset 

I read a NIH case study titled 

"Buschke adult scleroderma as a rare differential stiff-man syndrome diagnosis"

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

That's a type of scleroderma. I have scleroderma but not that kind but it's made some of my joints immobile...my hands are in permanent fists and not able to open them at all. It's all progressive. I feel badly for Celine.

This is not like Scleroderma at all.  It is an auto immune disease though @SilleeMee 

@gertrudecloset 

I read a NIH case study titled 

"Buschke adult scleroderma as a rare differential stiff-man syndrome diagnosis"

Interesting.  I know someone who had scleroderma who died but this person did not suffer from "stiff limbs."  The death was heart and lung related @SilleeMee .  I think Scleroderma is Scleroderma and SPD is SPD.  Kind of like the Flu can feel like the common cold but it's not the same.  Good link you provided too.

What I did gather from the article was that a differential diagnosis should be considered when enough symptoms present as either one to rule out one over the other.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

for a while Celine was so thin.  She was having Fashion Fun.  I wonder if she was suffering during this time (not long after her husband's death)?

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Such an incredible voice.  Wonder if she'll ever be able to sing again.

@Krimpette I can't imagine she won't be able to sing like this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT2gVblzFvY

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset 

My rheumy said that sometimes extreme and rapid weight loss can trigger some autoimmune diseases to occur in some people. Rheumy also went on to say the the weight loss messes up the hormone balance in the body which can cause a cascading effect of other things in the body to go awry. Blood chemistry goes out of normal ranges, electrolytes especially. Vitamin levels all drop and that causes even more stuff to go wrong, vitamins B12 and D in particular.

At the time of my diagnosis I was going through some very difficult times. Lost a lot of weight really fast, lost a job and other traumatic events going on.

Honored Contributor

Praying for Celine and for you, @SilleeMee .  Your courage in the face of obstacles is ever-inspiring.  There's always been something so blessedly rational, plucky, helpful, and 'steadying' about your utterances.  I believe you have a remarkable character. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee I'm sending big hugs and healing thoughts your way!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BalletBabe   Thank you for the webiste!  My two chronic rare diseases are also included on here:

This one, I was diagnosed at age 6 months old:

Tuberous Sclerosis - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders) (rarediseases.org)

This one, I was diganosed at age 34 (now 53).  I am on supplemental oxygen, when needed.  I was fortunate to be able to retire this year after 30 years of teaching.  I wanted to go out on my terms, not because of a rare and chronic disease.

Lymphangioleiomyomatosis - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders) (rarediseases.org)

I believe that spotlighting rare conditions is very important.  You never know what the person next to you in line at the supermarket, or even posters on here are going through in their lives.

Prayers to Celine, @SilleeMee  and anyone who is also going through health issues (or your family members).

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Esteemed Contributor

@Pandalady wrote:

@BalletBabe   Thank you for the webiste!  My two chronic rare diseases are also included on here:

This one, I was diagnosed at age 6 months old:

Tuberous Sclerosis - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders) (rarediseases.org)

This one, I was diganosed at age 34 (now 53).  I am on supplemental oxygen, when needed.  I was fortunate to be able to retire this year after 30 years of teaching.  I wanted to go out on my terms, not because of a rare and chronic disease.

Lymphangioleiomyomatosis - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders) (rarediseases.org)

I believe that spotlighting rare conditions is very important.  You never know what the person next to you in line at the supermarket, or even posters on here are going through in their lives.

Prayers to Celine, @SilleeMee  and anyone who is also going through health issues (or your family members).

@Pandalady   I am so sorry to hear of your health conditions.  I will keep you in my prayers!  Have a Merry Christmas.  Blessings to you and your family. 

Honored Contributor

I was sorry to hear that.  I don't think Celine has truly rebounded since she lost her dear husband.  She got so terribly thin and did not look well.  It doesn't matter how much money you have or how famous you are, illness can strike anyone at any time.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin