Valued Contributor

Re: Cedar Cove - Need to Vent!

What the OP wrote is pretty much what I've been thinking for awhile.  We keep watching the show, but I've found that I end up doing more reading while watching.  It's turning into a snoozefest for me.

This season is really not going anywhere and I agree with the OP; Moon and Warren are my favorite characters. 

Trusted Contributor

Cedar Cove lost me last year -- for the exact reason the OP stated.  The characters had become SOOOO weak.  I just couldn't stand to watch it anymore.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

i still watch just for something to watch, but agree that is incredibly slow.  Warren is my favorite character.  Overall I think the acting is horrible, especially with AM and her daughter.  I have always liked AM, but I think she has always been a horrible actress.  But those complaints being vented, I still overall like the show.  And I have never been a fan of Grace...I don't know why but I just don't like her or her daughter.

Trusted Contributor

Now see, I LIKE Grace, love her personality and she did explain her hair, most people now know about hair extensions so it wasn't a stretch for the imagination to understand the short-to-long issue at all.  She really lost the weight this year too and looks divine I think. 

I like Andie McDowell in the lead role but I think they need to boot her brother out to the B&B too and I would in a New York second if it were me but then I'm a stropy individual so it would be no problem for me to do that to a spoiled brother! Woman Very Happy 

Paul Watson is charming and I've always loved the actors smile and that's the part he plays best anyway.  Dylan Neal as Jack is yummy.  I just love him and always have.  He's great as the gourmet detective too! I actually like his acting range and he can be on lots of shows in my opinion as well as Colin Ferguson.

I love the guy that plays Warren and Warren is a character who is the guy you love to hate but he's charming and good looking so he can do it and his personality is awful but he has a point about his father, no wonder he has an attitude!

I can't say I care for the daughters of either Grace or Olivia, both have zero appeal or acting ability in my opinion.  The assistant DA is good and though she sure is annoying, I like her refreshing honesty even though it is too blunt and hurtful at most times. 

I'm just grateful they ditched Jack's son.  Just looking at him annoyed me and I actually quit watching the show because I couldn't tolerate him last year.  So for me, this year is enjoyable and okay and at least going in a direction that is watchable for me.

Honored Contributor

The characters have been wishy-washy since day one though. The stories are super light, even when they try to introduce darkness that doesn't fit, like with the photographer who had to leave town and everything about Jack's stupid son. They try to go deep (soldiers with PTSD, unwed mothers, divorce, alcoholism etc) and it just doesn't work because just comes across as very trite.

I mostly watch for the scenery and the actors I like: Dylan Neal, Teryl Rothery, Bruce Boxleitner, and Colin Ferguson.

I don't watch because the characters are well developed and the stories are above average because they just aren't.

Super Contributor

I like the scenery and the clothes.

i like Andie MacDowell, but agree she's not a very good actress.  She's the female Nicholas Cage.

Trusted Contributor

Every time they place the author, Debbie Macomber, in a scene she has the same wide grin.

She just pops in here and there and grins. The last episode, she was in the courtroom suing someone and grinning. Where did that come from?

I really like the Signed, Sealed and Delivered series and hope they bring it back. I tried very hard to like CC, but the plot lines are so weak and uninteresting.

Valued Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

Every time they place the author, Debbie Macomber, in a scene she has the same wide grin.

She just pops in here and there and grins. The last episode, she was in the courtroom suing someone and grinning. Where did that come from?

I really like the Signed, Sealed and Delivered series and hope they bring it back. I tried very hard to like CC, but the plot lines are so weak and uninteresting.

Regarding the bolded part, I had no idea she was even in some of the scenes.  Now I learned something.

Respected Contributor

Justine, who plays Olivia's daughter doesn't have much a personality. The whole storyline with her new beau should be discontinued. 

I watch more for the breathtaking scenery than the poorly written episodes.

The first two seasons were much more interesting. Bring back Olivia's mother and have her date Moon or Warren's father.

Trusted Contributor

How does this show drive me nuts, let me count the ways.

While I like the Olivia, there's NO WAY she should have let her brother stay more than one night.  If that.  Not only did he try to use Grace for the sake of convenience last season, he told Olivia that it's really his way or the highway with the house.  Gee, what a guy.  Then he sells to the sleaziest guy in town while acting like it has solved all of his problems.  

As always, Jack should have told his ex wife to take a long walk on a short pier.  She should have never been forgiven for sending him alcohol and trying to damage his relationship with Olivia.  Instead, he puts his career ambitions above anything else, and did he really think he could be an editor of a major city paper and do it from Cedar Cove?

Grace is fine, and I've enjoyed the actress for years, but she started to fall apart for me when she decided to keep the money pit of a house that would financially destroy her.  Then there was the wishy washiness with Cliff, a relationship the show didn't focus on much this season.

The daughters:  Where do I start.  Justine is an indecisive twit, and she stabbed her mother in the back by continuing to work for her uncle just because she needs a job.  He's a Warren lite, and it doesn't seem to impact her at all.  Grace's daughter doesn't want to be in her mother's wedding because her relationship is dying?  Really?  What a selfish nitwit!

Justine's boyfriend is just kind of there, and now they've discussed children with the knowledge that they're now on opposite sides.  She does the whole "he'll change his mind thing" when they should be splitting up.  When you're that far apart, you don't waste your time sticking around.  

The B&B couple:  I've been a fan of both actors for many, many years, but they just don't serve a purpose beyonnd filler.

The new DA:  Yeah, he acts a bit like a kid as someone else said, but that's the actor's style.  He was like that in Eureka, too.  I'm a fan of his as well, but the writing hasn't been helping.  If it's not on the page, it's not on the stage.

Then there's Warren.  He hangs around with a death grip, but why would he?  No one likes him, his rep stinks, and it seems that you need an outsider like Ollivia's brother to actually do business with the guy.  His father may be a jerk as well, but he isn't as sleazy as Warren, and by staying with a company he doesn't even own, he looks like a child throwing a temper tanttrum.  

This season is it for me.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.