Honored Contributor

Cause of death Luke Bell, Singer ,after autopsy

Luke Bell performing at the Tree Town Music Festival in Forest City, Iowa, in May 2017. (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)
Luke Bell performing at the Tree Town Music Festival in Forest City, Iowa, in May 2017. (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)© (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)

Country musician Luke Bell's cause of death was an accidental fentanyl overdose, according to ABC 9 KGUN Tucson.

Bell was found dead Aug. 29 at the age of 32, nine days after he was reported missing in Tucson, Ariz. His friend and fellow musician Matt Kinman confirmed Bell's death on the blog Saving Country Music on the day his body was found.

It was also reported that drug paraphernalia was found at the scene of his death.

The U.S Sun reported that the Pima County Medical Examiner's autopsy report stated Bell suffered arteriosclerotic cardiovascular disease and had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.076 at his time of death. The Mayo Clinic classifies arteriosclerosis as a condition that occurs when arteries become thick and stiff — sometimes restricting blood flow to the organs and tissues.

Kinman and Bell recently collaborated for shows and livestreams, according to Saving Country Music.

Bell's family released a statement following the "Where Ya Been?" artist's death.

“We have lost our beloved son, brother and friend and we are heartbroken. Luke had a gentle heart, a wanderer’s spirit and a musical gift that he was fortunate to share with us and the world," the statement read. "We are so grateful to his friends and fans for embracing Luke and his music. We would like to thank all of Luke’s fans, friends and family who have been sharing stories and photos of happy times with him.

“Unfortunately Luke suffered from the disease of mental illness, which progressed after his father’s death in 2015. Luke was supported through his disease by a community of loving family and friends. Despite this, he was unable to receive the help he needed to ease his pain. Our hearts go out to the millions of people affected by mental illness who, like us, understand the devastating disappointment of a system that consistently fails to provide caring solutions to those who suffer."

In 2016, Bell released a self-titled, 10-song album and performed at the Stagecoach country music festival in Indio, Calif., that same year. He previously spoke to The Times about his start and his approach to music.

“I was listening to people like John Prine,” he said, “then I moved to Austin for a couple of years and got into the Texas Tornadoes and that scene. Then I went to New Orleans. I was only there for about six months. I was living in a molding trailer that smelled of bleach in the Lower Ninth Ward. It was tough.”

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cause of death Luke Bell, Singer ,after autopsy

Not sure if I had ever heard of him, but that is a real shame.

And Fentanyl.  Nasty stuff. And that is all I will comment about that for now.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

The country has a mental healthcare issue that will only get worse: not enough trained medical personnel and counseling social workers, insufficient number of out- and in-patient treatment centers, and stigmatizing of menta illness. His family and friends suffered along with him. May they all find comfort in their memories and his music.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I love his music a little bit of old country soul.  He was so talented.

Respected Contributor

I'd never heard of him, but it was on the local news when he went missing here in Tucson & then, a few days later was found deceased.