Honored Contributor

Re: “Cats” Movie Trailer

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

DH and I've watched the trailer today and we don't get what all the fuss is about.  Anyone who's see the musical wouldn't think anything is wrong with the trailer.  We can't wait to see the full movie.

Quite frankly, I've see far scarier things on the news every single day lately.

@Venezia  Sorry, but I saw the original cast of “Cats” on Broadway in 1982 and in London in the mid-190’s, and I’m horrified by it. There are also throngs of contributors on the Broadway World forum who’ve seen the show multiple times, and they’re mortified, too. The issue is that instead of just doing the original theatrical makeup and touching it up with minimal CGI, they decided to go full CGI and it makes them look fake and creepy. Also, they’re not proportional to the sets they built for the film. They look like the size of mice rather than cats. 

@MaryLamb 

This sounds awful. And sad. I saw the show on tour and loved every minute of it 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a cousin who works in Broadway theater, and when he "marked SAFE from the Cats trailer" on Facebook, I knew this is bad and I will just stay away
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

The fact that the cats are small is realistic.  This couldn't be done on stage.  I cried through the stage version as they are stray cats and I find that so sad, and what a difficult existence they live, no love, petting, attention.

Honored Contributor

I also saw the original version of Cats and loved it.  My late husband and I took our daughters to see it several times.

Honored Contributor

This is a movie that did not need to be made. I think it will tank. 

Valued Contributor

I'm with you @MaryLamb -- another movie I won't be seeing!  The trailer looked weird and creepy!!

Valued Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

This is a movie that did not need to be made. I think it will tank. 

@GenXmuse  I agree. There is already a film version that was done in 1998 which used the Broadway sets, costumes, choreography and actors. It was well-produced and captured the stage version for posterity. When they announced this film back in 2016, it was right at the time that the live-action “Jungle Book” debuted, so people assumed that the cats would look like real cats and that the actors voices would be used. They made a big deal about how technologically advanced everything was going to look and kept everything under wraps until yesterday when the trailer dropped. So when people see how it looks pretty much the same as the stage show (only down with bad CGI instead of makeup) everyone is left asking, “what’s the point?” It seems like a vanity project for Andrew Lloyd Webber and just unnecessary.

Valued Contributor

I don’t find it creepy at all, and can’t understand what all the fuss is about. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had a slightly different reaction. I didn’t intend to see the film, but the preview looked so ridiculous that I actually may go now! Like a train wreck - you can’t help but look.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This was sung by a raggedy cat remembering the days when she had a home, made me cry listening especially "touch me and you'll know what happiness is."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWNWt3kiTWc

Midnight, not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight, the withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan

Memory, all alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

Every streetlamp seems to beat