Honored Contributor

Re: Catfishing. Has anyone here been a victim of catfishing or know someone who has?

[ Edited ]

Thats why you try to meet the person right away or within a sensible time-frame (in a public place, first.) There is no mystery/catfishing then. One then can do a cheap background check online too. Just run their name through g00gle/fb etc. I am sure stuff will come up. I would never send money/etc. to anyone I date. These people who do are in a fantasyland.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Catfishing. Has anyone here been a victim of catfishing or know someone who has?

I had a friend (she has since passed) that started talking to this guy online while she was still married. After a week he told her he was in love with her and wanted to be with her. He told her that he was a diamond buyer and traveled alot. Soon he was aking her for money, because his was all tied up....or his check hadn't been deposited yet. 

I TRIED to tell her that she was getting taken.....but she didn't listen. She sent him 5,000 dollars before her husband found out

They ended up going for counseling and stayed together....but I really didn't associate with her much after it.....