Honored Contributor

Catfish, gee that show is STILL on

I feel so sorry to still see how these young people continue to lie to other young people.  I'm so glad I never had to experience what these young people are having to do.  They trust, stick their necks out there, hoping to connect and find love, and it still seems to turn out so badly.  I so feel for these people.  What a shame.

Have you ever seen this program?

Is there a program that you watch and feel so sorry for the people involved?

Respected Contributor

Re: Catfish, gee that show is STILL on

I saw the original documentary. Disturbing.  Poor woman.

Honored Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

Poor Nev.   Yes this woman's life was sad and pathetic but what she did to Nev was despicable.

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

Poor Nev.   Yes this woman's life was sad and pathetic but what she did to Nev was despicable.

@LoriLori wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

Have to admit to being a little skeptical.  He was an educated man and he fell for something like this?  Oh well, I guess it's possible.

Honored Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@LyndaGee wrote:

Have to admit to being a little skeptical.  He was an educated man and he fell for something like this?  Oh well, I guess it's possible.

I don't think there's a connection between level of education and matters of the heart.  When it comes to the heart the smartest people can be really stupid!

Honored Contributor

@LyndaGee, also, in Nev's defense, there was no term "catfish" before him, there was no clue that someone would do that.  Assuming he really believed she was who she said she was (because some are skeptical), he fell hard and there was no precedent to warn him.

Wasn't there also an athlete who waaaay after the documentary and the show got very publicly catfished?  Can't remember the name.  

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@LyndaGee, also, in Nev's defense, there was no term "catfish" before him, there was no clue that someone would do that.  Assuming he really believed she was who she said she was (because some are skeptical), he fell hard and there was no precedent to warn him.

Wasn't there also an athlete who waaaay after the documentary and the show got very publicly catfished?  Can't remember the name.  

Yes, he almost lost everything too. A woman in Alaska created a very tangled web - the show 'Catfish' covered the story.

Catfishing goes  way beyond just young people trying to connect, though. There are fake profiles on the web for numerous reasons- people wanting to know someone elses business (a good friends ex husband for one!), law officials wanting to track down a perp (I heard this firsthand from a police investigator). A whole host of reasons.

I'm a fan of the show- I've always liked investigative type shows (Columbo fan from way back!). And not all the stories on Nev & Max's show turn out to be 'catfish' profiles, some are genuine.  

The original documentary was very well done, I had a lot of empathy for the woman. And so did Nev. 

Honored Contributor

I've watched this show many times with my daughter. It is sad, but yet I find it interesting at times. A guy my husband works with met several women on online dating sites. One told him the truth about herself before he purchased a ticket to fly out of state to meet her. He's extremely desperate and it shows. Not a good way to meet women, and he's done this more than once. I can't believe the people I see on Dr. Phil sometimes. They've given their lifetime savings to strangers online. Now that is really sad and most of them are retired.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

@LoriLori, yes it was Chris Andersen. He played for the basketball for the Denver Nuggets.  I saw the story on 20/20

Esteemed Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@LoriLori, yes it was Chris Andersen. He played for the basketball for the Denver Nuggets.  I saw the story on 20/20

@DJs mom @LoriLori There was also the NFL player Manti Te.