Honored Contributor

I absolutely loved her speech.  She talked about what tv was like back then didn't bring up politics or anything else going on today.  She is one classy lady.  I remember my mother would have tears down her face laughing so hard watching her show.  Those were the days.

Honored Contributor

These days I don’t have much of a clue of who’s who in Hollyweird and I usually avoid award shows because they seem to be more of an outlet to hurl political insults rather than the celebration they were once intended to be.  I learned about the Carol Burnett award while watching some early morning tv so off to YouTube I went.  What a gracious and classy lady, and touching speech.  Carol Burnett was part of my childhood, starting with the Garry Moore Show, eventually her own weekly variety show that we never missed, and then Mama’s Family.  What a fitting tribute to her.  Tears streamed as I watched Carol deliver her speech.  She’s right about timing. DH and I always say we grew up at the best time.  Not only were people genuinely good, honest, and fair, great milestones were met, we had the best music and great tv.  When Carol repeated her familiar “I’m so glad we had this time together”, it struck a chord.  I am too. Heart

Trusted Contributor

She is something. Her speach was quite amazing.

She speaks very well and was so gracious with such an honor.

Honored Contributor

Classy. Many young entertainers could learn a thing or two from her. She was one of the best and remained humble and thankful for her success. 

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  I agree with so much of what you said.  I only watched bits and pieces of the Globes for 2 reasons.  One, I have no idea who 75% of these people are and two, the award shows have become too political.  But i was lucky enough to see Carol Burnette.   She was so talented as was the entire cast of the show.  It was funny, and still is, w/o all the vile hatred,  potty humor??? and the political spouting that makes up most of the humor from today's comics.  

Recently, we were offered free HBO and I watched a movie from last year with an older comedic actress and a comedian, and I use the term loosely, who is very popular and has made several movies in the past few years.  She plays the same character in almost every movie, the slightly chubby, desperate girl who will sleep with everyone.  There was one scene that I found disgusting and I don't consider myself a prude.  This vulgar trash that was being passed off as comedy, well I just don't get it.  

So I'm really glad that Carol and Lucy, and I'm going to really date myself, Imogene Coco and Martha Rae can be remembered as funny and CLASSY.                                                                      

Honored Contributor

I agree with the posters about Carol deserving the award and how she made us all laugh weekly and gave us joy.  There were many female comedians who did the same and perhaps weren't given the recognition they deserved.  I remember watching Burns and Allen and realizing how Gracie Allen was hysterical as well as Imogene Coca, Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance to mention some.

However, Carol loved what she did and had an amazing cast around her and I am able to see her shows on ME TV in my area.  I still laugh of course and I am happy for her success and the mark she has made in the entertainment world.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1

I'm sorry I missed her!  Love CB and used to love watching her show!

The characters she created were truly funny....Mrs. Wiggins comes to mind....so silly, but made you laugh until you cried.

Loved her as Eunice and Vicki Lawrence as Mama....she's one of a kind.  As many have mentioned....it was good, clean fun that took you away from the day's troubles....not made you feel like you needed a shower after it was over!

Honored Contributor

Remember too that Carol can also do some serious acting, as in friendly Fire and Four Seasons. I remember as a little girl watching her on the Garry Moore Show.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

These days I don’t have much of a clue of who’s who in Hollyweird and I usually avoid award shows because they seem to be more of an outlet to hurl political insults rather than the celebration they were once intended to be.  I learned about the Carol Burnett award while watching some early morning tv so off to YouTube I went.  What a gracious and classy lady, and touching speech.  Carol Burnett was part of my childhood, starting with the Garry Moore Show, eventually her own weekly variety show that we never missed, and then Mama’s Family.  What a fitting tribute to her.  Tears streamed as I watched Carol deliver her speech.  She’s right about timing. DH and I always say we grew up at the best time.  Not only were people genuinely good, honest, and fair, great milestones were met, we had the best music and great tv.  When Carol repeated her familiar “I’m so glad we had this time together”, it struck a chord.  I am too. Heart

ITA.  I remember all those shows.  I go back to the Sid Cesar, Imogine Coca show.  I think it was called the Texaco Hour.  Even my 60 yr. Old son said, this world stinks the way people and entertainment is now.

I,m glad we had that time fogether.

Respected Contributor

I've always loved CB in anything she's done.

She was a BIG part of my childhood. I can remember watching the CB Show every week with my parents. My favorite part was when she would come out and take a few questions from the audience - I couldn't wait to see what beautiful gown she would be wearing.

She's always been gracious and classy. She's one of our few treasures left in show business. Heart

You know what's really nice? Honoring her while she was still alive for all her wonderful contributions over the years. She can now enjoy that award knowing how many millions of lives she touched ..... generation after generation.