Honored Contributor

Re: Carl Ruiz Food Network Star R.I.P. 44

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

I don't remember him, but he probably never went to a doctor, most men won't, and at his age, he probably thought it wasn't necessary, but I think after forty, it probably is, at least to get a baseline of what condition one is in, blood tests, ekg, etc.

@mousiegirl 

I don't think it has anything to do with 'being a man' or his age

but at 44, it's clear he had the lifestyle which caused his death.

I would strongly bet he had signs of bad health...uncomfortable signs

his body was giving him.  Most likely he had a very uncomfortable death.

Its the 'normalization' of the bad eating our American culture

celebrates.  Not even close to being normal. I would like to think

we can learn from his life...unfortunately people will look away. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

I don't remember him, but he probably never went to a doctor, most men won't, and at his age, he probably thought it wasn't necessary, but I think after forty, it probably is, at least to get a baseline of what condition one is in, blood tests, ekg, etc.

@mousiegirl , my husband is 71 and rarely ever goes to the doctor.  I put off my 1st colonoscopy a year because I told him I wasn't getting mine until he got his (and he's 11 years older than me). At least he was concerned enough about me to get his done.  

@Icegoddess   I just nag DH until he gets this test done,.  He has had three.  The last time, he wanted to wait, but I nagged him into getting it done, and there was something there, big, but benign, but could have turned into something, so he was told to come back in five years, it has been three, and I nagged him to go in now, so he is going this month.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl , my husband is 71 and rarely ever goes to the doctor.  I put off my 1st colonoscopy a year because I told him I wasn't getting mine until he got his (and he's 11 years older than me). At least he was concerned enough about me to get his done.  

@Icegoddess   I just nag DH until he gets this test done,.  He has had three.  The last time, he wanted to wait, but I nagged him into getting it done, and there was something there, big, but benign, but could have turned into something, so he was told to come back in five years, it has been three, and I nagged him to go in now, so he is going this month.

@mousiegirl Nagging doesn't work with my husband.  He'll eventually say "Yeah, you're right." which is his way of shutting me up.  I was able once to get him to think it was his idea.  The hospital was having a skin cancer screening and I said I thought I would go, so he decided to go with me.  Being that he likes to sail, of course they found a bunch of pre-cancerous stuff on his face and head.  So, he did do a stint of treatments with the dermatologist.  However, he won't go back now.  He had a sore on his eyebrow that just wouldn't go away and as much as I nagged he wouldn't go to the doctor about it.  Now, if he gets a card from the colonoscopy doctor telling him it's time, he'll probably go get it done.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl Nagging doesn't work with my husband.  He'll eventually say "Yeah, you're right." which is his way of shutting me up.  I was able once to get him to think it was his idea.  The hospital was having a skin cancer screening and I said I thought I would go, so he decided to go with me.  Being that he likes to sail, of course they found a bunch of pre-cancerous stuff on his face and head.  So, he did do a stint of treatments with the dermatologist.  However, he won't go back now.  He had a sore on his eyebrow that just wouldn't go away and as much as I nagged he wouldn't go to the doctor about it.  Now, if he gets a card from the colonoscopy doctor telling him it's time, he'll probably go get it done.  

@Icegoddess   He needs to be seeing the dermatologist regularly.  This year, DH went to a doctor who inspected "every" part of his body, lol, and she found something above his upper lip that neither he nor I saw, and sure enough, he had to have the procedure where layer after layer is removed to be sure to get it all, came home with a teeny bandage and can't tell now that anything was done.  Fear of cancer gets him moving, but all in all, he is pretty good, and that is because I trained him long ago to take care of his health and teeth, I am sure you tried also.  My DH is very stubborn, but when it comes to his health, he knows I research a lot, and know what I am talking about.

My DH spent decades sitting in the sun at ball games, which caused the skin issues, now he wears sunscreen and a cap when there, also when working in the garden.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl 

@sidsmom   If he had gone to a doctor, he would have known his arteries were clogged and he could have made a choice to either stop eating what causes this, or die young of a heart attack.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl 

@sidsmom   If he had gone to a doctor, he would have known his arteries were clogged and he could have made a choice to either stop eating what causes this, or die young of a heart attack.

@mousiegirl 

Unfortunately, cooking/eating that way to cause clogged arteries

at 44 is his 'brand'.  I see people all the time in my nutrition/wellness

forums where they do a 180 by changing diet to a PB eating, but they

had to leave the lifestyle that got them sick in the first place.

It's not easy but lives are saved if they do.  With as much information 

given to us about healthy eating, ignorance doesn't play in anymore.

It's a choice.