Esteemed Contributor

Carl Ruiz Food Network Star R.I.P. 44

[ Edited ]

Food Network star and celebrity chef Carl Ruiz has died ... according to his closest friends in the biz.

Carl reportedly passed away Saturday night of a suspected heart attack, so says his pal and social media personality, Matt Farah. Matt also said Carl died peacefully in his sleep.

Guy Fieri also commented on Carl's death, writing on Twitter ... "I’m heartbroken that my friend chef Carl Ruiz is gone. I have no words to describe what a great friend he was to me and my family. His ability to make me laugh and smile under any circumstances was only outshined by his talent as a chef."

I’m heartbroken that my friend chef Carl Ruiz is gone. I have no words to describe what a great friend he was to me and my family. His ability to make me laugh and smile under any circumstances was only outshined by his talent as a chef.

Carl -- who was Cuban-American -- was known as an expert in Spanish cuisine. He opened his restaurant, La Cubana, in NYC just earlier this year in June. According to his restaurant's website, he's helped open countless restaurants over the course of his 25-plus years in the food game ... and made several appearances on TV as well.

He was 44.

This is so sad. I really enjoyed his great sense of humor. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Respected Contributor

Re: Carl Ruiz Food Network Star R.I.P. 44

@elated wrote:

Food Network star and celebrity chef Carl Ruiz has died ... according to his closest friends in the biz.

Carl reportedly passed away Saturday night of a suspected heart attack, so says his pal and social media personality, Matt Farah. Matt also said Carl died peacefully in his sleep.

Guy Fieri also commented on Carl's death, writing on Twitter ... "I’m heartbroken that my friend chef Carl Ruiz is gone. I have no words to describe what a great friend he was to me and my family. His ability to make me laugh and smile under any circumstances was only outshined by his talent as a chef."

I’m heartbroken that my friend chef Carl Ruiz is gone. I have no words to describe what a great friend he was to me and my family. His ability to make me laugh and smile under any circumstances was only outshined by his talent as a chef.

This is so sad. I really enjoyed his great sense of humor. Sorry to hear of his passing.

I saw this and even though I watch FN a lot his name doesn't sound familiar.  I guess because I don't watch Guy's shows.

May he R.I.P.  So young.

Esteemed Contributor

This is Carl Ruiz.

Esteemed Contributor

Such a young talent! The culinary world has lost a treasure. My prayers for solace for the family😥

~~~All we need is love💖

Honored Contributor

Oh goodness @elated  I was just coming to post the same.  I love Guy Fieri's Grocery Games and my favorites were always when Carl was either a contestant or a judge.  I can't quite wrap my head around that he passed so young.  He always talked about how Guy helped him kind of turn his life around.  He got married and started a family.  My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.  Heart

Honored Contributor

i had heard about this early this morning due to a post by chef simon majumdar on facebook. so very sad......he was definitely a rising star in the culinary world. he had been in baltimore within the past week checking out the food scene. so young.....may he rest in peace.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I hate hearing this.  He is not even overweight. Perhaps it is drug related ? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I hate hearing this.  He is not even overweight. Perhaps it is drug related ? 

No, he had a heart attack.

Trusted Contributor

How sad. I loved him on Guy’s Grocery Games....he seemed like a very kind person and always talked about how Guy helped him turn his life around. May he RIP.

Respected Contributor

i think he was just on an episode, on sunday. sympathy to his family.