Honored Contributor

Re: Can we talk cutting TV shows?

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I'm seriously considering cutting the History Channel permanently.  I've cut back considerably.

Half of what they show is historical fiction.  I often spend part of the program talking back to the TV!  I emailed them once and asked if they could provide some footnotes to the source of some of their statements.  No response.  

Then, there are Ancient Aliens - but we all know that's a farce!  

@ALRATIBA 

???   Actually it's not a farce.  May not be something that interests you, but it's interesting, nonetheless.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I didn't say it wasn't interesting.  I watch it myself quite often and suggested others watch it. Some of it is hilarious! 

I find some of their explanations "ludicrously improbable" (from dictionary definition of farce). I've read a couple of Erich von Daniken's books. Love Giorgio's FB postings ... he's very amusing. 

See the source image

----------------------------------

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I'm seriously considering cutting the History Channel permanently.  I've cut back considerably.

Half of what they show is historical fiction.  I often spend part of the program talking back to the TV!  I emailed them once and asked if they could provide some footnotes to the source of some of their statements.  No response.  

Then, there are Ancient Aliens - but we all know that's a farce!  

@ALRATIBA 

???   Actually it's not a farce.  May not be something that interests you, but it's interesting, nonetheless.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

@deepwaterdotter what research did you do to determine that news shows were not factual?

@chessylady 

LOL .... She responded, but didn't answer your question.  

How can I best provide an answer to the poster's question?  My "research" is, when possible, to reference a live, unedited, telecast on CSPAN of the person(s) speaking or the event taking place.  

Honored Contributor

Once they start with issues I'm done with it.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

I also think Giorgio is funny .... and a little strange.  Have you ever seen his magazine?   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

No, I haven't.  I see it noted on the TV screen under his name, but haven't paid much attention.

----------------------------

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ALRATIBA 

I also think Giorgio is funny .... and a little strange.  Have you ever seen his magazine?   

Valued Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

@software  Rebel has been cut by ABC.  They're only 5 episodes in.  Sorry a show you liked got cut.  That's always disappointing.  I'm still crossing my fingers for a SEAL Team renewal.  

I heard the other day that "Seal Team" is being moved over to Paramount + for next season.

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

Robert Osborne, wasn't he the best, @vsm ?   Funny, charming, understated, subtle, never full of himself.  Whatever his private views were, he'd never browbeat his audience with them.  He had too much respect for the classic film-loving public.  It was never his style to 'condescend'.

You've captured him perfectly, @Oznell .  He was self-effacing -- an all-too-rare quality in an interviewer.  (Brian Lamb of C-SPAN was as well.)  And he always left me with the feeling that he had so much more to tell, but would never betray a confidence just to puff himself up or grab ratings.  He was, quite simply, modest...in a world that no longer values modesty as a virtue.

@Oznell  and all... Agreed but in fairness to TCM what they're doing is performing preemptive strikes... It's the times in which we live, more's the pity... Sad to say, if we want to see certain movies, they almost have to confront aspects of them now deemed 'problematic' or you can believe some doltish media commentator somewhere will be using some forum to pontificate about how insensitive and irresponsible TCM is to show these films... Personally, I DVR most of those I want to see, skip over the commentary and go right to the movie...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

You probably make a very accurate point, @stevieb , about them trying to pre-emptively absolve themselves of some kind of amorphous "guilt" for the content of films that were made more than half a century, or three quarters of a century ago.

I find I'm no longer patient with these craven corporations, these utter monuments to hypocrisy.   They do a complete disservice to the audience by assuming that we don't understand things that were wrong in the past.

Lectures begone, TCM, and show some courage and common sense--  I know what's in my heart, and I'll do others the favor of assuming their good will and good faith, as well.

Honored Contributor

@debfau wrote:

@Stargazer77 wrote:

@software  Rebel has been cut by ABC.  They're only 5 episodes in.  Sorry a show you liked got cut.  That's always disappointing.  I'm still crossing my fingers for a SEAL Team renewal.  

I heard the other day that "Seal Team" is being moved over to Paramount + for next season.

I read it will be on CBS for a few episodes next season, then move to Paramount +.  Same with Clarice.  Although the deals still are being negotiated.

This seems to be the new thing.  Get people involved in a series on network TV, then move it to a premium channel that they have to pay you for to continue watching it.

I'm not biting.  Not only do I pay more than enough already, none of these shows is worth that hassle to me.  I've been debating whether or not to drop Seal Team anyway because it's lost its luster for me this past season.  Now the decision will be made for me.