Trusted Contributor

Can't take all the flashing lights at concerts even those on tv

I turned on a PBS fundraiser featuring Frankie and the 4 Seasons.  The flashing neon lights are just sooooo distracting.  I used to like this group, but the background is over the top. He told everyone to sing along and stand up and dance. When I would pay big bucks to attend a concert, how do you see with everyone standing up? You can tell I am old. I need to sit down.Same thing with commercials--flashing from one second to another. I used to like the commercials with a neat song and a picture of a person digging up cement with a jackhammer for pepto bismol or Ipana toothpaste, or  the Where's the beef? commercial. They were humorous with a catchy jingle. Now they flash from all sides and are just loud and annoying. I knowthings change, but not always for the better.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can't take all the flashing lights at concerts even those on tv

Several years ago we went to a concert at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas to see Reba McEntire and Brooks & Dunn, both of whom I like.  The show was so overproduced with lasers and sound effects I wound up covering my ears and closing my eyes for most of it.  Last show I ever went to.

Honored Contributor

My days of going to concerts are over. I'm just too old for that now. But I sure did go to a bunch of them in my younger days. Those were the days!

Respected Contributor

I fell in love with the Four Seasons many years ago.  I saw this PBS concert and of course, loved it.  I don't mind the lights.  I can't stand the arms and hands lifted and waiving in the air. 

Honored Contributor

Concerts used to be about the music, not they're all about the spectacle. One suspects that started with Vegas residencies and was perpetuated by the marginally talented to obfuscate, well, the obvious. Those with real talent probably felt they had to fall in line to keep their audience.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am an avid concert goer.  I prefer to go to concerts where the artists are not singing over a pre-recorded auto tune tape.  Many of them do this.  I prefer a live band when I go to a concert.  I don't expect disco lights when I go to a concert and I never get that.  I just get the music I came to hear with the great musicians who know how to use instruments instead of search for a beat on a board.

Give me the sax player, the piano player, the guitar player, the drummers and I'm set.  No flashing lights.

I have been to Vegas to see Celine Dion (years ago during her first residency), no flashing lights.

I went to see Earth Wind and Fire in New York (a treat of a lifetime) and them boys are still bad bringing you live music.  No flashing lights.

I've seen Luther Vandross (RIP) live at Madison Square Garden with his rotating stage (no flashing lights).

Al Green in NYC

Gladys Knight in NYC

The O'Jays plenty of times in NYC

never any flashing lights.  It could be the kind of music.  Like disco I would expect some flashing lights from the likes of Donna Summer.  She sang club music. 

I love live music.  I prefer it over even live dance performances for which I'm known to frequent as well.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A couple years ago, pre Covid, we went to see Tran Siberian orchestra, which, I love.  We were in the third row.  The speakers were 10 feet from us. We ended up leaving. It was so darn loud, 

we all had a terrible headache 3-4 songs in.  

I guess my concert days are long over too.  Or at least no floor seating.  We were so excited for the “good seats” Sad.  

Honored Contributor

In terms of musical entertainment, not a lot worse than paying big bucks to go to see a favorite group and it becoming clear that there's a certain amount of lip syncing and pre-recorded music going on.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I agree with you.  I hate flashing lights anywhere, but I notice them more on TV commercials and it triggers migraines for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@lynnie61 

Oh my, I can understand why you had to leave. 

I saw them MANY years ago and it was enough to melt your makeup and we were in the far reaches of the concert hall.

That was the first and LAST time to see TSO live. Cat LOL