Honored Contributor

Can You Ever Forgive Me - Premieres on HBO Tonight Sat. 8/31

Sorry I'm so late posting this.  I didn't see this at the movies but wanted to, so I'm happy it's already going to be on HBO.  Not sure whether I'll watch it tonight, but if not,  I will soon.  Love having HBO and Showtime.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can You Ever Forgive Me - Premieres on HBO Tonight Sat. 8/31

Thanks for the heads up!  Smiley Happy   I didn't recall what it was until I checked the Tivo guide for the description.    I like Melissa McCarthy and it looks like a good cast, over all.

When I first saw the thread title, I thought 'forgive you for what?'.  Smiley Very Happy   I'm a spaz.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Thanks for the heads up!  Smiley Happy   I didn't recall what it was until I checked the Tivo guide for the description.    I like Melissa McCarthy and it looks like a good cast, over all.

When I first saw the thread title, I thought 'forgive you for what?'.  Smiley Very Happy   I'm a spaz.

@chickenbutt   No you aren't a spaz.  I meant to put what the movie is about in my first post, and then forgot.  The plotline (which you've already looked up, but for others....):

"Lee Israel is a frustrated, hard-drinking author who can barely afford to pay her rent or bills in 1990s New York. Desperate for money, Israel soon hatches a scheme to forge letters by famous writers and sell them to bookstores and collectors. When the dealers start to catch on, Lee recruits a dubious friend to help her continue her self-destructive cycle of trickery and deceit."

Melissa McCarthy please Israel and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Saw it in the movies.  I'll just say I wouldn't watch it again--LOL!!

I did enjoy the supporting performance of the actor who was nominated for an Oscar.  Thought he was excellent.

We don't have HBO/Showtime and the few times RCN has offered it for "free" that was what it was worth.  

But enjoy!!

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Saw it in the movies.  I'll just say I wouldn't watch it again--LOL!!

I did enjoy the supporting performance of the actor who was nominated for an Oscar.  Thought he was excellent.

We don't have HBO/Showtime and the few times RCN has offered it for "free" that was what it was worth.  

But enjoy!!

@kaydee50   me too. Completely agree with your thought.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

I saw this and found it to be surprisingly interesting. It's a true story so that made it even more interesting. The acting is very good.

Respected Contributor

I watched it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Thanks to the OP for giving the heads up.  I'd heard of this movie and did not know it was based on real people's lives.  I liked how it ended and the follow up information at the very end.

Honored Contributor

I didn't hate this film, but almost. I sure didn't like it and wouldn't ever watch it again. It was very slow moving esp at the beginning. The characters were despicable people and not a whole lot happened other than dishonesty for which people didn't get enough punishment. McCarthy's character was so unpleasant. The whole film was gloomy. Sure glad I didn't pay to see this at the movies and sure glad it was under 2 hrs long since it really dragged. McCarthy reminded me of Cathy Bates in it, who is a much better actress even though McCarthy did a good acting job. Bates is much more compelling and may have held my interest better.

Honored Contributor

I watched the movie, although I though Melissa was very good, I didn't like it, I found it boring.

Valued Contributor

This was a very good movie.it shows you melissa mccarthy can do other things other then comedy.she should of got the academy award for this work.I didnot find it boring and kept my attention.I will watch any movie made in NYC.