Trusted Contributor

Re: Can Food Network IMO get worse?

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Hubbs calls it the  Food Sports channel.

Good one Hubbs! Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine 919  They reached an agreement with Bobby Flay and he is staying.  I used to really dislike him, but my opinion has changed recently.  Am happy he's back. 

Many of these new shows are rehash of earlier shows.  The Michael Simon one definitely, but I thought I read so was Alex's.  Both copying from earlier Flay shows.

Nevertheless, although I like Fieri, I do think it's strange how much airtime and shows he is given.  He just signed a massive contract last year or the year before. I only personally occasionally watch Grocery Games and the occasional special he hosts.

@software  I saw a few episodes of Tiny Food Fight and thought the host was so annoying.  Strange direction (for example, when the contestants all turn their heads to look at the clock). I just wonder who it's directed at - seems a little Nickelodeon vs Food Network.  Nevertheless, the concept is interesting and I wonder what the finished product really tastes like. 

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@sunshine 919  They reached an agreement with Bobby Flay and he is staying.  I used to really dislike him, but my opinion has changed recently.  Am happy he's back. 

Many of these new shows are rehash of earlier shows.  The Michael Simon one definitely, but I thought I read so was Alex's.  Both copying from earlier Flay shows.

Nevertheless, although I like Fieri, I do think it's strange how much airtime and shows he is given.  He just signed a massive contract last year or the year before. I only personally occasionally watch Grocery Games and the occasional special he hosts.

@software  I saw a few episodes of Tiny Food Fight and thought the host was so annoying.  Strange direction (for example, when the contestants all turn their heads to look at the clock). I just wonder who it's directed at - seems a little Nickelodeon vs Food Network.  Nevertheless, the concept is interesting and I wonder what the finished product really tastes like. 

The host is a comedian, surely when the topic is tiny food you can't take yourself seriously!    That's part of the schtick!  It's almost like it's mocking all the competition shows.   

Have you ever watched Iron Chef.    They do the whooosh too.

Super Contributor

My favorites were Paula Deen, Ina Garten, Sandra Lee......

Honored Contributor

I only watch Food Network for my favorite cooking competition shows.  Which does NOT include Worst Cooks in America.  I've only seen it a few times but it's the worst show in America. 

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

Oh!  Does that mean that 'Beat Bobby Flay' is not going away, now?  I enjoy that one.

About the only ones I could not stomach at all were Paula Deen and Mario Batali (guess my instincts were right on both of them, as it turned out!).  I also do not like Sunny Anderson.  I don't do well with obnoxious, no manners, etc, and she checks all those boxes and more.  I actually quit 'The Kitchen' once, years ago, because of her.  But I really like all the others so I ended up going back.   It was good when they were all working from home, as I could just FF through her segments.  Now, she's back in the studio interrupting everybody and being massively annoying.  Smiley Sad

I watch some of the competition shows.  I enjoy the kids baking show with Valerie Bertinelli and Duff Goldman.  I've always liked both of them a lot and the kids on this show are so sweet, supportive, and talented.

I also like Valerie's cooking show, but it does seem that there aren't nearly as many cooking shows as in the old days.

I remember Emeril's prime time show.  That was fun!   That was even back before I used computers and one time there was a recipe I wanted.  Back then you sent a check in the mail to order it!   That had to be a pretty long time ago, as I've had internet since 1999.

Valued Contributor

I stream the Cooks Country and America Test Kitchen , tons of shows most are free on the fire stick . Nice the free ones are the older seasons .  Those people really know how to cook , and many hints and reviews of different cooking gadgets and spices etc .

Valued Contributor

@phoenixbrd  'Agree. Until Food Network comes through on that one, i have enjoyed Jazzy Vegetarian (i believe all of her recipes are vegan) and Christina Cooks (organic whole foods recipes) both on PBS. I never know when they are on, my tv watching is so hit-n-miss, so i rarely catch them.

@homedecor1 and all who replied, i enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks Smiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

@SuesCat  Thanks....I'll take a lookHeart

Respected Contributor

I only watch the baking championships.  Otherwise I don't like any of the shows.  Guy Fieri should have his own channel so other shows can be on here. 

As for WCA, another season started last night and I might watch one show to see how bad it is once again.  Anne Burrell needs another show to get her off of this one.