Trusted Contributor

Cable TV has become unaffordable for me. I have called many times to just have basic cable. The website states it would be $50.00 a month. I think that is still high but for the local channels I thought it would be the best option. However it would not be $50.00 for me it would be $113.00 with all the whatever charges they tack on. They also told me come Feb 2022 the prices will go up due to the taxes. At least $20.00-$30.00 more.For those have cut the cord do you have any regrets? Which streaming service with live local channels do you prefer? 

I have decided to go with T-Mobile internet as it is unlimited.My current internet is not unlimited and we have come close to going over.If you go over it is very expensive. 

I love cable TV, I grew up with it. I find it easy to use and convienent. But it is time to move on. Smiley Sad 

TIA  

Honored Contributor

Re: Cable Tv Question

[ Edited ]

@lenapecci   Yes, those fees and taxes are ridiculous.  Not the cable company's fault. We've thought about "cutting the cable" but as you mentioned, we like the convenience of just turning on the TV and not having to deal with several "streaming" services" which I understand are also becoming more expensive.

Bottom line, we are staying with our cable/internet/phone provider and fortunately, it is still within our "budget."

BTW, the last time our bill was increased $60/month I called and was given a "loyal customer" rate which raised the bill only $10/month.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you considered getting an antenna?  I've had one for 5 - 10 years and don't miss cable at all.  It picks up the local over-the-air channels and all their subchannels.  There are probably 30 - 40 channels altogether.  Free TV is great.

And, if your internet is unlimited, and your TV is compatible, get a Roku or similar streaming device.  You'll be able to get more free programming.

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50  Thank you, I am going to give them a call again today as I have the day off from work. It is worth it to at least try one more time.  

Honored Contributor

I live in an area where there are mountains, hills and valleys. Because of those geological features an aerial antenna is out of the question. No one around here uses them. 

Streaming services require a fast internet speed which has gotten outrageously expensive. Plus the quality of picture you get with streaming services is not that great. There are problems which come when internet speeds go up and down. Many streaming subscriptions have also gotten expensive, too.

I've decided to just stay with DirecTV satellite. I've been their customer for over 20 years. Their service is outstanding, the picture quality is exceptional and it rarely goes down. I'm willing to pay for that even if it costs a bit more than going with some other kind of TV service provider.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my promotion with Dish ended I canceled my service.  I have no regrets... I now have Sling.... Cost 35 dollars a month...that is the amount they bill my credit card.... they don't add a bunch of charges like others do.....

Respected Contributor

I feel your pain.  We've wanted to cut the cord for years and just can't figure out how to do it.  Our cable is bundled with our internet, so if we drop cable and continue with Comcast for our internet, our internet will be sky high.  By the time you add up all the different steaming, we'll  be paying what we already are with Comcast.  Too add insult to injury for us, we also have Direct TV in the basement.  We have a very large house with a lot of TV's and Comcast said they can't carry all the TV's on their service, so the basement has Direct TV (that's where the home theater is).  We've cut that to the bare bones just so we can't use the home theater.

Respected Contributor

I, too, agree about the cost of cable. My bill just went up $21.00 and more then half of that was added fees and taxes. It's totally ridiculous, but like others, I like the convenience. I'll just wait and see. What does one need for streaming? Both my TV's are old and not smart TV's.

Trusted Contributor

Every year I call my cable company (Uverse) and renegotiate my contract so my rate does not increase.

Prior to calling them I contact any other local provider and get a quote for what their service would be.  The quote is always lower than the Uverse Increase.  Even if you don't fully intend to switch it doesn't hurt to get quoted.

I call Uverse and ask to speak to customer retention because I want to cancel due to finding a lower rate from a competitor.  Customer Retention always finds a way to give me a great rate.

Esteemed Contributor

@lenapecci 

@lenapecci wrote:

Cable TV has become unaffordable for me. I have called many times to just have basic cable. The website states it would be $50.00 a month. I think that is still high but for the local channels I thought it would be the best option. However it would not be $50.00 for me it would be $113.00 with all the whatever charges they tack on. They also told me come Feb 2022 the prices will go up due to the taxes. At least $20.00-$30.00 more.For those have cut the cord do you have any regrets? Which streaming service with live local channels do you prefer? 

I have decided to go with T-Mobile internet as it is unlimited.My current internet is not unlimited and we have come close to going over.If you go over it is very expensive. 

I love cable TV, I grew up with it. I find it easy to use and convienent. But it is time to move on. Smiley Sad 

TIA  

I have had cable TV since 1976 and it was 35 a month. Then we got TIVo when it came out.

Last month I was informed my cable would cost 200 a month.

I went to the office and got a new plan for 149 a month starting in Jan. They cut a lot of channels and mostly gave me a lot of sports.  They cut my DVR to 20 hrs from 150 hrs.

I am elderly and don't watch a lot of chanels and was able to keep the basic I watch. Nothing on TV that interesting for me as far as the stupid shows.  I can DVR two channels at the same time as before.  It would cost another 10 to do so.

The taxes are very high.  Gave me the modem charge of 14.00 free for 2 years.  

I do streem peacock which everyone has, but doesn't have that much interesting for me.  I also streem IMBD free with ads and a few movies (old) and TV programs on there.

Try and go to the office and see what they will do for you. It has gotten out of hand.  I do need the internet.

I had to cut Prime and netflex and don't have the other streaming stations. My sister cut her cable 26 years ago because it went to 50 dollars, I wish.  She gets the programs I watch the next day.  She has an apple box.