Frequent Contributor

I am disabled and my exhusband has my car. My Kindle and cable are my buddies. I am very angry that Hallmark and Lifetime offer club tv for 5.99 or more. I pay for cable so why do I have to spend money for extra movies. Let's not forget we pay for channels we don't even one. Sorry, does anyone want to share my soap box?!

Honored Contributor

I understand!  I am on my soap box a lot about the price of cable, etc.  I get disgusted because the prices keep going up and they include so many channels in the package you get that you do not like or want.  There should be a way to choose just the channels you want.  A person shouldn't have to pay for all of this extra junk!  Then, things which you would really like to have ---- extra, extra, extra!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Cable is my highest cost utility.   It's even more than my property tax.....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Yes, cable costs are way out of line and it's not regulated like other utilities because it's not considered a necessity. One of the other big issues with the cost,too, is all the taxes they heap on. It's a rip off. As @Desertdi stated, it cost more than my county and township property taxes combined. I wish I could just pick about 35 channels and pay for that. Of course, they would probably charge $5.00 a channel. I get great enjoyment out of TV and hope it doesn't come to the point where I'll have to make a decision about cutting it out of my budget.

Honored Contributor

@catter70I'm with you on the cable costs but don't blame the cable companies for the taxes!  One of the ways legislators keep taxes somewhat in check is by foisting off costs in the form of use taxes so we blame others for having to pay.  We have little choice and the companies, too, have little choice.

My costs for cable, Internet and phones are so high I hate to look, but defintely about double my property taxes at this point. 

Honored Contributor

Those Hallmark channels offer poor choices. Why would you want them?

Honored Contributor

I pulled the plug on my satellite TV a year ago and have never looked back.  Don't miss it at all; I'm very well entertained.  Go to "Electronics" and search on "pull the plug".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Those Hallmark channels offer poor choices. Why would you want them?

Really?

Hallmark has great programming during the day & great movies at night.

What is poor about that?

Honored Contributor

I put Hallmark movies in the same category as cheap romance novels.   Frivolous with no substance.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Count me in for being fed up.

I subscribe to Netflix. I've been enjoying the Marvel TV shows; Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage. They canceled all but Jessica Jones - they're currently filming season 3 and once it airs, I suspect that'll they'll cancel that too. Daredevil has been extremely popular and it was one of their highest rated shows. I think they're canceling the shows because once Disney has their streaming service up and running, Disney intends to pull all their content from Netflix. (Marvel is owned by Disney) Marvel put out a statement saying that Daredevil will continue "somehow". So if you want to watch anything Disney related you'll have to subscribe to their service.

I would love to watch Star Trek: Discovery but I'm not paying extra to watch it on CBS All Access. 

It seems like everyone wants to get in on the extra money there is to be made with having their own streaming service. I'm surprised that ABC and NBC haven't gotten in on the action yet.