Honored Contributor

CUTE D I C K VAN D Y K E SHOW SUNDAY 11:00 P.M. EASTERN METV

Screenshot_2021-04-18 Hustling the Hustler (1962).png

FLASH ALERT:   The D i c k Van D y k e Show,  "Hustling the Hustler"  D. Van D y k e,  Morey Amsterdam, Phil Leeds, Rose Marie, Mary Tyler Moore

One of my favorites of the series is on tonight.  Buddy Sorrell's (Morey Amsterdam) estranged brother, "Blackie" (Phil Leeds),  blows into town, much to Buddy's chagrin.  Blackie is a charmer, who ends up invited to Rob's house for dinner, and a "friendly" game of pool afterwards.   Of course, he turns out to be not the run-of-the-mill player he pretends to be...

Very funny episode, what with Buddy's mortification over his slicko brother, and poor Rob's hilarious, slow, dawning realization that he is doomed.  

I can't help myself, I find "Blackie" to be a lovable rascal -- he's so mischievous!  Phil Leeds could not be more perfect casting as Buddy's brother.   His comic instincts are impeccable (apparently he was a Borscht Belt comic among many other sub-careers he had),  and he holds his own beautifully with the expert DVD cast.

A winner, and we get to see the Petrie's little-shown rec room basement.  No sign of the giant rock, though.

Phil Leeds, a wonderfully impish character actor:

15554834_124911577994.jpg   

Honored Contributor

Re: CUTE D I C K VAN D Y K E SHOW SUNDAY 11:00 P.M. EASTERN METV

I set the timer for all D i c k Van D y k e shows. I look forward to watching every Sunday night.

I do not remember this episode. But know the Phil Leeds character from other TV shows.

Honored Contributor

I think you'll like this one, @drizzellla !   You may remember it once it starts....

Respected Contributor

If you get Decades TV channel, D I C K  V. is on M-F from 3 p.m.-4 p.m ET.

Honored Contributor

We just read Van Dykes autobio. It is refreshing and honest. Also purchased the video of some of the best of the show and the pilot which starred Carl Reiner. 

Actually, my fav is not on this selection. My fav is the one w/Greg Morris.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

I remember this episode with Buddy's brother.

But I don't think I remember the rock in the basement.

It would jar my memory because I had a great aunt who had a huge boulder sticking out of the concrete floor of her basement.  I guess the builders didn't want to move it? 

The house is now about a hundred years old.  A few years ago on a visit to New England, I wanted to drive by the house.

Well, her little house was gone and a new home was built. 

But, in the front yard, there was the boulder, amidst a beautiful flowerbed.

Honored Contributor

Your great-aunt's amusing boulder story sounds similar to the DVD one, @Lucky Charm .   I think it occurs in a flashback episode where Rob and Laura are reminiscing about how they got their house-- they ended up in a competition for it with, of all people, their friends Millie and Jerry.  Then, the one next door came available, and I think Millie and Jerry got that one, and the Petries got the giant boulder---  which the builder had also "just left" in the basement.

Or something like that!

Trusted Contributor

I enjoyed this episode last night : )

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I don't remember the episode with Buddy's brother, though I have seen them all, have the complete set, so will look up the season and episode and watch it.  I am back to gardening now due to the weather being so nice, trying to get things done before the heat of Summer, so havn't even watched the interview with David Jansen yet, but will.

Honored Contributor

Funny, we dont get the 11 PM show here on ME TV on Sunday nights, we get news programming from 10 to 11:30 and DVD at 11:30. and now Antenna TV has Who's the Boss from 11 to 12, also one of my old faves.