Honored Contributor

@dulwich  I think this is a film you and DH will want to see. I watched online yesterday a fun telecall with William and Kate and 2 stars of the film, Emma Stone and Emma Thompson. W& K are screening it early for health care workers in the U.K. as a thank you to them.

Anyway, the film takes place in London in the 1970s and Stone said the sets recreated that. The settings are Carnaby Street, in front of Buckingham Palace (Wm chuckled at that) and other places around London.  And the costumes are supposed to be eye-poppers!

You need to see this to see London back in the 1970s and see if the recreation is authentic. 

Thompson, who looks marvelous, addressed William in this video as "darling" which really surprised me! (Although as I recall he took his Grandmother's place in the ceremony making Thompson a dame). I saw snippets of the film and thought Cruella's black and white hair isn't nearly as weird as it used to be, given all the multicolored hair people wear nowadays!  The film is getting good reviews and critics are commenting it's more for adults than children.

Honored Contributor

Just read another review of this film that said the clothes are the equivalent of another character in the film [i.e. they are that important]. 

Trusted Contributor

Watched this last night and I'd give it a 8 out of 10.  Definitely see it at a theater if you can ... since our theater is still iffy opening wise saw it at home.  Both Emmas were great, the fashion was amazing, music good but in my opinion story was not what I was expecting at all and bottom line after the movie's over, I did not like either Cruella nor the Baroness.

Honored Contributor

@colleena. Thanks for your review.

Honored Contributor

Just got back from seeing it. I think they paid more attention to "action" than the story line. Some scenes were visually beautiful. And some drama was a bit much. 

The wardrobe department was one busy part of the movie. And they did quite an impressive job.

And yes Emma Thompson did not disappoint. 

I think the favorite part of the movie for me was when the credits were being shown. And a songwriter was given Pongo and the friend of Stella was given Perdita.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Just got back from seeing it. I think they paid more attention to "action" than the story line. Some scenes were visually beautiful. And some drama was a bit much. 

The wardrobe department was one busy part of the movie. And they did quite an impressive job.

And yes Emma Thompson did not disappoint. 

I think the favorite part of the movie for me was when the credits were being shown. And a songwriter was given Pongo and the friend of Stella was given Perdita.

@drizzellla. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Thanks for your informative review. 👍

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla And remember in the 101 dalmations movie where Pongo's owner & Perdita's owner were walking their dogs in the park & they got together & the rest is history ...

I really enjoyed Cruella but as I said earlier after the movie was over I really like botth Emma's performances but don't think I liked either Cruella/Estella nor the Baroness.

Esteemed Contributor
I went to the theater this afternoon to see this. As a stand-alone movie, I liked it. The design of the movie is incredible and I’m sure will be nominated in several categories at next year’s Oscars.

But, I also have conflicting emotions about it. The original cartoon character is simply horrid - as a child I would think someone wanting to kill puppies is more traumatic that some random witch. She’s not someone who deserves a forgiving backstory. So, I’m just annoyed that they gave her one.

Mid credit scene possibly sets up a sequel that would bring us to the time of the original cartoon movie. I didn’t read the article, but read that the box office was lackluster (guessing that doesn’t include pay from home totals.)

I also saw A Quiet Place 2 this weekend. Enjoyed that as well, but think you need to see the original. I wish I had rewatched the original before seeing it (or, at least, read a summary.)
Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego I envy you being able to see the movie at the theater ... ours is still figuring out safety protocols ... I therefore saw it at home.  I did so enjoy the movie, both Emmas were excellent, the music/ambience good but honestly at the end of the movie I did not like either character.

I agree that there was implications that there could be a sequel ... 

& I would like to see the Quiet Place 2 - I did see the original so think I would like this too - I've heard the 2 kids are exceptional in this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CRUELLA. (Prequel Film)

[ Edited ]

@colleena  The Quiet Place was the first movie I've seen in the theater in maybe 18 months.  I know the theaters were open off and on, but (1) the movies weren't compelling enough for me to go, (2) the movie times the one time I did look were very limited and (3) I just really didn't feel that comfortable enough going (I have an elderly mother and I was even more careful because of her).  For both of this long weekend's movies, I went to the first show of the day and the theater kept free seats between each customer.  Regardless, the theaters are normally not that full the first show and there were plenty of empty seats.  I think you are supposed to wear your mask when not eating and I personally followed this. I admit I was slightly emotional on Saturday morning - not quite tearing up, but just so happy to get back to something that was a big part of my life. 

And, yes, the kids in The Quiet Place are both phenomenal.  I feel like they had the main roles in 2!

Oh - I forgot to put this in my original comments about Cruella - I loved the music!  It's another character in the film, as far as I'm concerned.