Honored Contributor

Re: COUNTRY MUSIC mini series on PBS

the documentary continues tonight 9/22/19.

8pm et......repeats at 10pm et.

EPISODE 5

THE SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF AMERICA (1964 - 1968)

Country music artists like Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard, and Charley Pride reflect on a changing America as they appeal to wide audiences. In a time of cultural upheaval, country music reflects a changing America, as Loretta Lynn addresses women’s concerns, Merle Haggard champions the common man, and audiences look beyond skin color to embrace Charley Pride. 

During a time of cultural upheaval, country music reflects profound changes in American society. The feisty Loretta Lynn writes and performs songs that speak frankly on behalf of women. Charley Pride becomes a country star when people respond to the quality of his voice instead of the color of his skin. Bakersfield artist Merle Haggard, a former prison inmate, rises to become the “Poet of the Common Man” while Johnny Cash descends into the chaos of drug addiction. The Man in Black finds salvation through the intervention of June Carter and a landmark album that critics uniformly applaud.

preview

https://www.pbs.org/video/ken-burns-country-music-preview-episode-5-the-sons-and-daughters-of-americ...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'm glad no one died last night ;/  The first 4 nights it seems we ended on a death.

There are many tv movies about most of these people, so a lot of these details were not news to me.  There are a lot of details not mentioned about a lot of them, like Johnny Cash (but if you saw Walk the Line you know the story of his brother).  I think the only thing I learned was the Col. Parker was Eddy Arnold's manager before Elvis.

I'm glad he got to interview Merle Haggard, Ralph Stanley and a few others before their deaths.

I'm glad we still have Loretta and Willie to give first hand accounts and Marty Stuart, the historian of all historians.

I feel like we didn't hear anything about George Jones and Tammy Wynette yet.  Maybe it will be covered tonight.  They did mention Loretta covering a George Jones song and mentioned him in passing, but nothing significant.  And Dottie West.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 

i will have to do a search to learn about johnny cashs brother.

i did not see the movie WALK THE LINE.

there have been so many interesting singers, some that i had never heard of before, to do more research on after the show.

i bet that this documentary could have been at least twice as long!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45  oh yes it could have been many xs as long as country music is such a blending of the history of America's music! Burns is a master of his own craft and I feel he did an excellent job. I am quite a fan of country and bluegrass.

If anyone wants to read a fascinating book 'Will you miss me when I am gone ' is one - the biography of the Carter family . Mother Maybelle was a gem and  LOVED  every type of music and instrument  and so down to earth.

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I'm glad no one died last night ;/  The first 4 nights it seems we ended on a death.

There are many tv movies about most of these people, so a lot of these details were not news to me.  There are a lot of details not mentioned about a lot of them, like Johnny Cash (but if you saw Walk the Line you know the story of his brother).  I think the only thing I learned was the Col. Parker was Eddy Arnold's manager before Elvis.

I'm glad he got to interview Merle Haggard, Ralph Stanley and a few others before their deaths.

I'm glad we still have Loretta and Willie to give first hand accounts and Marty Stuart, the historian of all historians.

I feel like we didn't hear anything about George Jones and Tammy Wynette yet.  Maybe it will be covered tonight.  They did mention Loretta covering a George Jones song and mentioned him in passing, but nothing significant.  And Dottie West.

Loretta was one of the anchors last night.  Love her, “Nobody telling me what to do where to stand” when talking about Charlie Pride!  I really admire country music recognizing Pride for his talent and taking on some of the affiliates.  That was pretty courageous at the time.  I had no idea he was African American until i was out of college.  

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Loretta was one of the anchors last night.  Love her, “Nobody telling me what to do where to stand” when talking about Charlie Pride!  I really admire country music recognizing Pride for his talent and taking on some of the affiliates.  That was pretty courageous at the time.  I had no idea he was African American until i was out of college.  

There's the whole era a duets, so you have Tammy & George and Loretta and Conway and Dottie & Kenny.

Then there's the whole era of cross over to pop with Kenny Rogers being the biggest of them all.

I know they can't cover everyone, but these were pretty significant to the next generation of artists in the 80s.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 @i think he will get there.  We were only to 1968 last night.

Honored Contributor

You're right.

I just looked up the years and they are throughout the 70s, so maybe tomorrow night.  Tonight is 68-72.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

the entire documentary goes through 1996......the year bill monroe died....."the father of bluegrass."

Honored Contributor

9/23/19  EPISODE 6

starts at 8pm et, repeats again at 10pm et.

"WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN"

Learn how country music responds to a nation divided by the Vietnam War, as Army captain turned songwriter Kris Kristofferson sets a new lyrical standard, and artists like Bob Dylan and the Byrds find a recording home in Nashville.

With the Vietnam War intensifying, America is more divided than ever. Country music is not immune to the divisions and, like the nation itself, its stars respond to the conflict differently in their songs. Kris Kristofferson, a former Rhodes Scholar and Army captain, abandons the career his parents have planned and becomes a writer whose lyricism sets a new standard for country songs. Bob Dylan, the Byrds, and other non-country artists find Nashville a creative place to record. And a hippie band from California, the Nitty Gritty Band, comes to town to create a landmark album that bridges the gap between the generations.

preview

https://www.thirteen.org/programs/country-music/ken-burns-country-music-preview-episode-6-will-the-c...