Valued Contributor

Re: COUNTRY MUSIC mini series on PBS

We are thoroughly enjoying this series. Yay for PBS & Ken Burns and for excellent American music. The stories...
Honored Contributor

Had no idea that Kris Kristopherson has such an impressive past! Phi beta Kappa, Oxford (Rhodes scholar), instructor at West Point....who knew? This series is amazing
Respected Contributor

Thanks for reminding me. Grew up country.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Had no idea that Kris Kristopherson has such an impressive past! Phi beta Kappa, Oxford (Rhodes scholar), instructor at West Point....who knew? This series is amazing

I knew he went to Oxford, but wow.  No idea he was brilliant and that he was a songwriter, major.  He wrote Bobby McGhee.  Had no idea.  He was so handsome when he was younger.  Johnny Cash continued to be profiled.  So interesting about him and Bob Dylan.  Also so fascinating that so many of the folk singers recorded in Nashville. Bought lots of those albums back then.  And more of Willie Nelson.  Now i understand his break with Nashville to do his thing back home in Texas,  I think i have tried to watch all of Ken Burns series, and in my opinion, this is the best.  Just masterful.  And i cackled at Johnny Cash at the Nixon Whitehouse refusing to sing Welfare Cadillac, and instead singing What is Truth.

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

I knew he went to Oxford, but wow.  No idea he was brilliant and that he was a songwriter, major.  He wrote Bobby McGhee.  Had no idea.  He was so handsome when he was younger.  Johnny Cash continued to be profiled.  So interesting about him and Bob Dylan.  Also so fascinating that so many of the folk singers recorded in Nashville. Bought lots of those albums back then.  And more of Willie Nelson.  Now i understand his break with Nashville to do his thing back home in Texas,  I think i have tried to watch all of Ken Burns series, and in my opinion, this is the best.  Just masterful.  And i cackled at Johnny Cash at the Nixon Whitehouse refusing to sing Welfare Cadillac, and instead singing What is Truth.

@Shawnie @lovesrecess  Knew about Kris K. Always liked him and his songs. One of my favorites.

Honored Contributor

I am surprised they glossed over Glen Campbell.  Maybe we'll get more tonight.

Also Urban Cowboy was big in 1980.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

EPISODE 7 9/24/19

8pm et and repeats 10pm et

tonights episode is 2 hours and 19 minutes long.

"ARE YOU SURE HANK DONE IT THIS WAY

(1973 - 1983)

Witness a vibrant era in country music, with Dolly Parton finding mainstream success; Hank Williams, Jr. and Rosanne Cash emerging from their famous fathers’ shadows; and Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings launching the “Outlaw” movement.

preview

https://www.thirteen.org/programs/country-music/ken-burns-country-music-preview-episode-7-are-you-su...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

EPISODE 8......FINALE

"DONT GET ABOVE YOUR RAISIN"

(1984 - 1996)

8 pm et.....repeats at 10pm et

Learn how “New Traditionalists” like George Strait, Randy Travis and the Judds help country music stay true to its roots. Witness both the rise of superstar Garth Brooks and the return of an aging Johnny Cash to the industry he helped create.

As country music’s popularity skyrockets, the genre questions whether it can stay true to its roots. The success of the “New Traditionalists” like Reba McEntire, George Strait, and Dwight Yoakam suggests it can. Garth Brooks overcomes rejection and explodes onto the scene to recalibrate the yardstick of success. And after being dropped from his label, an aging Johnny Cash, at the invitation of a hip hop producer, returns to the studio with just his guitar and his unforgettable voice to record a series of albums that sell millions of copies and earn him the respect of the industry he helped to create.

preview

https://www.thirteen.org/programs/country-music/ken-burns-country-music-preview-episode-8-dont-get-a...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:
We are thoroughly enjoying this series. Yay for PBS & Ken Burns and for excellent American music. The stories...

I am enjoying it too.  I am finding out so many things about their lives.  Very interesting and sometimes sad,  They worked so hard all of them.  I am going to look for some old cd's of cointry musicSmiley Happy

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

We were only able to see the first episode so my hubby order the dvd and will watch it soon. I’m not a big country music fan but found it quite interesting. I really enjoyed listening to the narrator.