Honored Contributor

Re: COUNTRY MUSIC mini series on PBS

REMINDER: PART 3 on tonight, 9/17/19.....8pm et., repeats at 10pm et.

HILLBILLY SHAKESPEARE 1945 - 1953

the country stars of post war america, including hank williams, whose shongs are inspired by his troubled and tragically short life.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

my dad was a HUGE country music fan , Hank Williams was his all time favorite!   He just loved all that "hillbilly" music ha!   I grew up forced to listen to it  ,   Don't mean tied up or anything,   He would just play it so  loud so you had no choice if in the house or car.   So I pretty much know every classic country song and artist.   I guess you could say  I was country before country was cool 😆.  Barbara Mandrell had a song saying that .  My dad is longer here and I really do appreciate and like the older country,  the classic now ,  not the new stuff which to  me sounds more like  pop music ,  every artist sounds the same anyways.  Have my DVR set up .    

Respected Contributor

Sorry I missed this.  I see it's being repeated tonight.

I remember seeing Hank Williams profiled on "Biography."  Said at the time of his death, he was in such bad shape, at first the coroner thought he was a lot older .  Poor guy. 

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed Hank Williams last night, but that type of voice is difficult for my ears.  I also enjoyed Johnny Cash at Folsom, never understood his passion for a prison full of criminals.

I am really looking forward to the girls beginning tonight.

Honored Contributor

tonights episode 4 is on at 8pm et. it repeats at 10pm et.

it spans the time period frm 1953 - 1963. it focuses on elvis, johnny cash, ray charles, and the impact of women in country music, including patsy cline and loretta lynn. it is titled....

"I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU"

A visit to Memphis, TN, during the age of rockabilly with Sun Studios artists Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley. Ray Charles crosses over racial borders by recording a country album. Patsy Cline rises to stardom with a smooth new sound.

ENJOY!

i have been enjoying it so much that i have been on youtube quite a bit the past several days listening to some of the music again.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

This was the best episode yet i thought.  I did not know that Willie Nelson started as a song writer.  I know him after he left Nashville for Yexas and became known as a singer.  And the song Crazy.  Scarcely aware of Patsy Cline.  Can’t wait till they i hope explain his break with Nashville i believe in the late 60s.  Lots of Johnny Cash in this one, and some Elvis who really impacted the shift in sound in Nashville.  Anyway.  This one didntput me to sleep.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i definitely love patsy cline singing CRAZY,. but i also love the version that willie nelson did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnYEQbEHNZE

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45   Years ago when I had a CD player at work, I would play Patsy Cline’sCrazy over and over.  Love it.

Honored Contributor

They night was #4...the Elvis and Johnny Cash era....and Patsy Cline. So much about these stars I never knew. Am anxious to see Dolly!
Respected Contributor

My DH is a history fan and is really enjoying this series just because of all the educational details about the American past and the role all these different types of music played in shaping our culture.

Very fascinating and well worth watching, whether or not one is a huge country music fan.