Honored Contributor

Re: COMMERCIALS YOU HATE....

[ Edited ]

@jlkz wrote:

@Suziepeach 

DH has 2 heart conditions, one occurred this past December.

Thank God for Eliquis because it dissolved the blood clot on his atrium which enabled them last week to shock his heart into a more nor,al rhythm.

Now, the new gold standard drug for improving the percent blood flow pumped from the left ventricle into the body,  Entresto was prescribed.  Hopefully it will be effective so he does t need a defibrillator .

So, I would take what your doctor said with a grain of salt. If it helps someone who needs it, let it be.  Sometimes a doctor needs to be prodded to keep up with new developments:  having to discuss a new medication with a questioning patient may be all he needs to discuss the pro’s and con’s.

Yes, the pharmaceutical ads are annoying; however, sometimes that can open up a meaningful dialogue.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with your line of reasoning here, and I’m truly SO happy to see your post about what hopefully will be a long term resolution to DH’s health problems.

I think (hope) the criticisms were directed toward people who race to their doctors and demand what they saw in the commercials, or WORSE, doctors who prescribe based on patient demands and NOT diagnostic skills, patient records, etc.

May You and DH enjoy many MANY MORE YEARS of health and happiness together!

Honored Contributor

Ones currently playing by me that I hate:

Princes Toast....so annoying and ridiculous!

The three girls in bikinis shaving a plant in front of themselves down there.

Cottennelle ...Enjoy the go...or "My hinny's clean"....ugh! 

I think it's Samsung.  They offer a phone charge with music saying "how do you like that?" over & over...then it goes to "What do you think of me now"...so dumb sounding!

Any pharmaceutical ad that plays happy music while telling you all of the possible deadly side effects.

There are others like the Skittels candy one that makes me cringe but thank goodness it's not on much anymore.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I also hate the emu ads.  The one with the cyclist with the huge calves is just gross.  The bears and the toilet paper is on the hate list along with the Reeses "not sorry"  ad.......what does that even mean????

Yes I forgot about that one...so stupid with the large calves...who thinks of this stuff?!!!....and it play CONSTANTLY!!

Honored Contributor

I was actually slammed here not too long ago for criticizing the commercial about the octogenarian life guard and the disc jockey Grandma.

I don’t even KNOW what the commercial is supposed to be selling, but the implication is clearly that OLD PEOPLE (ME!) should assume certain specific roles, should NOT do things they enjoy doing if their choices are not “age appropriate “, and should be embarrassed if they make choices based on personal preferences and abilities.

Ageism is as destructive  in some lives as other negative, biased “isms”, and I’m having too much fun to be bothered by it, but I also learned how easy it is to fall victim to it with damaging, negative, and PAINFUL consequences.

If the 80 year old life guard has proven himself to be physically and intellectually fit to perform his role, I’M most CERTAINLY NOT going to ask to see his birth certificate before he saves me from drowning.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Suziepeach 

So far, so good.  No one knows what is around the corner !

We are doing all we can to get a good long term outcome.  We have an excellent cardiac team and lots of prayer warriors !

@jlkz so far, so good, that's a good thing , and you can add me to being a prayer warrior!!  He listens, answers and knows!!! 

Fantastic on the excellent cardiac team, that in its self is a huge blessing. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

I was actually slammed here not too long ago for criticizing the commercial about the octogenarian life guard and the disc jockey Grandma.

If the 80 year old life guard has proven himself to be physically and intellectually fit to perform his role, I’M most CERTAINLY NOT going to ask to see his birth certificate before he saves me from drowning.

@violann- Did you see the recent news about the 81-year-old woman who won a weightlifting contest for her age bracket?  She can dead lift 265 lbs!

She said she started training 3 years ago, when she couldn't even get up a flight of stairs without holding onto something and pulling herself up.

People should not allow themselves to be pigeonholed by anyone because of their age.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Suziepeach 

Sometimes a doctor needs to be prodded to keep up with new developments:  having to discuss a new medication with a questioning patient may be all he needs to discuss the pro’s and con’s.

Yes, the pharmaceutical ads are annoying; however, sometimes that can open up a meaningful dialogue.

@jlkz- There's always the other side of the coin though.  My DH also has health problems and he was being treated with mostly generic drugs.  His doctor decided to put him on Xarelto.  He gets routinely checked and had gone in for blood tests at our local hospital, then returned home (driving himself).

I was shopping in another town and got a call from him.  The hospital called and said he needed to get back to the ER immediately.  I had to drive home, get him in the car and into ER.  He was so severely anemic from internal bleeding that he was in the hospital for days, having four blood transfusions.  The doctors there said they don't know how he hadn't collapsed.  The cause was Xarelto, which is now subject to class action lawsuits (my DH refused to participate, despite the trauma and cost to us; he just wanted to forget it all).

He is now back on the generics and doing fine.  Sometimes doctors do know about the latest drugs, but the effects from newer drugs, with contraindications that were known about and hidden, can be devastating.

The drug companies deliberately push these new drugs to increase profits.  (Look at the opioid epidemic.)  I don't want to derail this thread, but the drug ads are the worst for me.

I'm glad it worked out for your DH, truly.  For us, it almost ended in disaster.  We now work on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia 

I totally understand.  Glad things turned out well after that major scare.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

About the Haribo boardroom commercial.  I don't believe it's the actors voices talking like children. I believe they Taped actual Childrens voices as they sat around eating a bag of gummies and those voices are overdubbed on the actors who are acting like kids again bcause the gummies make them so childishly happy.   Not saying I like it either but I think that's whats going on. Listen again and see.

I think it’s pretty obvious.   Those are definitely pre-recorded children’s voices.    That doesn’t make it any less annoying. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

The one where to kid asks his Grandma for another grape soda.

The one for the razor where the girls are in bikini's with a bush in front of them.

Theres more.

@Imaoldhippie I hate that grape soda one too for two reasons.  One, I feel sorry for the kid.  And two, I have seen that Grandmother's expression on my own mother!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead