Honored Contributor

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Oops whatever happened with my post...anyway it's on tonight. Love to watch this every year, it's so inspiring to see people doing such great things for others. 

It makes me wish I could do things on that scale. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I think of this as the non-Hollywood Oscars.  Recognition of the folks that truly earn my respect and admiration.

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Oops whatever happened with my post...anyway it's on tonight. Love to watch this every year, it's so inspiring to see people doing such great things for others. 

It makes me wish I could do things on that scale. 

@Greeneyedlady21

I know what you mean. But you can and probably do accomplish things on a smaller scale. Pay for some or part of soneone else's groceries if they are having trouble at the store, take some extra food to the food pantry, help someone who's having trouble walking. Such a little thing: last week, we were going into our favorite Chinese restaurant as a woman struggled out the door as other people were screaming out around her. She was walking unsteadily with a cane and trying to hold onto a bag of carry-out food, which was about to turn sideways and spill. I did what anyone would do and asked if I could help, so I took the food and walked along with her to her car and helped her get in. I'm used to doing that with my mom and my step-mother. No big deal, right? What surprised me was her warm reaction. "You made my day," she said. It was nothing, and I wondered how many times I have failed to see that someone just needed a moment of my time. It was a humbling lesson to me to keep my eyes open. I can't be a great "hero" like the CNN examples, but maybe if I am even more aware, I can help one person at a time. I'm sure I have missed many opportunities.

I just read today about a secret Santa paying off something like $40,000 in holiday layaways at a store. I cannot do that. But it made me wonder if I could go to, say, Walmart and ask if I could pay off just one person's layaway of toys or something. I am calling tomorrow to find out. 

When we started rescuing hungry and obviously homeless cats after moving here,  someone said to me that, well you can't save every stray cat who is stuck out in the harsh cold of Iowa in the winter. No, I can't. But I can save one at a time. 

Honored Contributor

One of the boys at our church goes to Harry Swimmer's horse therapy ranchSmiley Happy

But still I would have to vote for Sherri Franklin who rescues older dogs and brings them to Muttville. I wish I could do that and have them all!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"