Esteemed Contributor

I'm surprised there aren't any posts- I'm not a country music fan but I am a fan of Darius Rucker so I watched a bit off/on. I really liked his tribute to Mac Davis -- 'In The Ghetto'. 

With the spike of covid cases - Nashville especially- they were 'whatever' about the pink elephant in the room. Jokes about social distancing.  The event was at an indoor venue, tables were supposedly 8 ft apart  (didn't appear so at all). The only masks were costume props a few performers held up for photo ops. They seemed to  want to avoid politics- but they made public health political and sent the wrong message. 

Honored Contributor

I chose not to take any political message from this show, I just enjoyed a few offerings.  I will go back through my DVD and pick up a couple more.  

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

I'm surprised there aren't any posts- I'm not a country music fan but I am a fan of Darius Rucker so I watched a bit off/on. I really liked his tribute to Mac Davis -- 'In The Ghetto'. 

With the spike of covid cases - Nashville especially- they were 'whatever' about the pink elephant in the room. Jokes about social distancing.  The event was at an indoor venue, tables were supposedly 8 ft apart  (didn't appear so at all). The only masks were costume props a few performers held up for photo ops. They seemed to  want to avoid politics- but they made public health political and sent the wrong message. 

@Ibby114 It's political to you.  To me it's not.  People get a lot of conflicting information, choose what to believe each person free to do so so lots of people have different feelings about COVID and all aspects of it.

If you follow a party line, you'll see it as political.  Some of us just see it as confusing, therefore many people take a different approach to dealing with it.

It's America, and that's how it works.  Whether it fits your views or not. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Ibby114 It's political to you.  To me it's not.  People get a lot of conflicting information, choose what to believe each person free to do so so lots of people have different feelings about COVID and all aspects of it.

If you follow a party line, you'll see it as political.  Some of us just see it as confusing, therefore many people take a different approach to dealing with it.

@Sooner  Thanks for telling everyone how things are and how things work in America. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CMA Awards last night

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Sooner Public health is not political to me. It's about trusting science, which should be non partisan. And has been in the past! That's how we were able to control SARS, ebola - and many other epidemics from becoming pandemics. 

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I chose not to take any political message from this show, I just enjoyed a few offerings.  I will go back through my DVD and pick up a couple more.  

@depglass Bieber was great- and I've never been a 'fan'!

Super Contributor

I thought Reba looked beautiful! 

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 COVID is a global pandemic.  There is a lot of "science" and a lot of conficting information, unreliable statistics, and unknowns.  UNKNOWNS being the elephant in the room.

"Science" can't know all, fix all, anticipate all, and some lie to get funds.  

Nothing about this is set in stone and not much is verified.  "Science" relies on the principle of observation and testing over WAY more than a year. 

Honored Contributor

Re: CMA Awards last night

[ Edited ]

I am a country music fan and I didn't watch all of it because I was watching the Chicago series.  I was already irritated when the CMA came out last week and said this show was going to be a drama free zone.  I guess they are calling the pandemic "drama."  That didn't sit well with me.

Then we have a room full of people with none of them wearing masks.  In the middle of a pandemic.  They all sat there like nothing was happening in the world.   Not to mention that last I heard, at least 2 people had to bow out because they tested positive and a couple of other people weren't there because members of their immediate family tested positive. 

But let's just go on as if nothing happened.  And don't even get me started on Eric Church's speech for Entertainer of the Year.  Yeah Eric, music is going to fix all of this.  

Esteemed Contributor

I was happy Eric Church got a win.  Maren Morris could have shared the wealth a little; Miranda Lambert should have had a win for Wildcard.

I am not a huge fan of mixing too much of a pop sound with country.  That's just my two cents.  I did like Ashley Mcbryde quite a bit.  Liked Chris Stapleton too.

The venue was strange.  I found the show a little disappointing.  Some acts had to cancel due to COVID concerns.