Honored Contributor

CLAUDETTE COLBERT SPARKLES AT AWARD EVENT FOR FRANK CAPRA

[ Edited ]

MV5BNzQ4YzlhMDEtYjYzNy00YTBlLWJmNTEtODM0NGNiOWRjYWIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUyODMyMw@@._V1_.jpg

Tres chic!  Claudette Colbert, who epitomized glamour at near eighty, brings her breath of sophistication to the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award for the man who directed her in "It Happened One Night",  fabulous Frank Capra  ("Mr. Smith Goes to Washington",  "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town",  "Meet John Doe"  etc.)

Her gown, her confidence, her appropriateness to the occasion, her elegance, her diction, even the trademark "Claudette" hairdo--  all perfect.  To me there is no comparison to the performers of today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI8XetlS-uU

(I love the way she pronounces "genre" in the clip.  After all, her heritage was French!  Vive la Claudette!)

claudette-colbert-theater-actors-photo-1.jpg     

Respected Contributor

Re: CLAUDETTE COLBERT SPARKLES AT AWARD EVENT FOR FRANK CAPRA

@Oznell She was one of my favorites as well!  I enjoyed her in The Two Mrs. Grenville's.

She had a beautiful, old Plantation House in Barbados, not too far from the Sandy Lane Hotel, directly on the water called Belle Rive.  I was, fortunate, to be able to see the grounds but never the interior. It was magnificent. I can no longer find pictures of the interior while she lived there.  It was sold after her death and is now a high end vacation rental.  She was very much respected and care for as was her husband as residents of Barbados.  She was a very kind nice lady.

Honored Contributor

Ms. Colbert was scintillating in every way in this clip, from her shining gold jewelry, to her glowing skin to her golden remarks about Frank Capra.  Sheer elegance personified.  

Honored Contributor

So true, @Somertime and @golding76!

I've also hunted for interior photos of her Barbadian idyll "Bellerive",  but have not been successful.  Once I read that the drawing room was blue and white, but that's the closest to a description I've gotten.  Couldn't find any images even in the wonderful online profile "Vanity Fair" did on her. 

From all accounts, I'm sure the house was decoratively the "beautiful dream" it's named for....

Honored Contributor

What this great actress gave to the entertainment world wasn't just superb acting and enjoyable movies but also grace, dignity and class.  Her speech was wonderful and she captured the tribute to Capra beautifully!  Yes, few if any actresses today have what Colbert had, true movie star quality in every sense of the words movie star.

Honored Contributor

Hello sweet @Oznell 😘 hope you are ell.

I believe it was Colbert who starred in Clark Gabel’s “It Happened One Night”.

My best friend worshipped him.  I sat thru that movie way back when just for her and to my surprise I enjoyed it.

Stay safe sweet girl.😻

Valued Contributor

Claudette Colbert was so good both in comedic and dramatic roles.

She (as well as Carole Lombard) worked so well with Fred MacMurray in the earliest years of his career. Even though they could be bit silly, the half-dozen or more films she did with him were very entertaining. I think my favorite of these collaborations  is "No Time for Love." So silly, so funny, pure entertainment.

Although not a film often cited as one of her best, one that I have watched several times, and which always moves me, is "Tomorrow Is Forever" with Orson Welles.

I also enjoyed listening to her on the radio. Back in the old days, when so many films were done for radio broadcast, she appeared many times. They often had short interviews with the actors before or after the performance. In particular, I enjoyed her short conversations with Cecil B. DeMille.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, and you as well, kind @Annabellethecat66!

Agreed, @Highlands72,  she and Fred had a charming chemistry.  Claudette Colbert is one of my three favorite classic-era actresses of all time, along with Davis and Stanwyck.  She makes even less than stellar movies watchable for me.

Even though everyone agrees Bette Davis "owned" Margo Channing, I like to play the game, what if Colbert hadn't gotten injured and had been able to make "All About Eve"?  It's a performance I would have liked to see (even though of course Bette's was so riveting).  They originally had cast Anne Baxter as "Eve",   partly because she somewhat resembled Claudette, who they thought would be Margo.  That would have added an additional, interesting nuance to Eve's frantic need to replicate Margo....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So well said, @spiderw.

By the way, @spiderw, I meant to add, that I imagine you are in "spooky movie" heaven right now, with all the classic horror flicks airing all week and today!  Hope you are enjoying to the hilt!

Honored Contributor

Yes, Oznell, I am enjoying all the horrors I can fit on my DVR plus those I have on DVD's!

Of course I have seen them all so many times but never tire of them.. Many of the stories take place in great settings, old houses filled with lots of appealing furniture, paintings and decor!

Happy Halloween and enjoy the day!