Honored Contributor

CLASSIC FILMS CELEBRATE AMERICA'S GLORIES JULY 4TH TCM

There's an extended musical reveling in America and what she means, kicking off at 2:30 p.m. Eastern with "1776" and continuing on till past midnight.  Getting this alert in a few days early, so those who want to view or record, will be sure not to miss.

Highlights:

2:30 p.m. Eastern --  "1776"   Howard da Silva, William Daniels, Ken Howard, Blythe Danner, Donald Madden, John Cullum, Virginia Vestoff

The birth pangs of a new nation.  I've not seen it all the way through, but is not William Daniels the most perfect casting possible of John Adams?  And Howard da Silva of Franklin?  This was an indispensable Bicentennial project.

5:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Yankee Doodle Dandy"   James Cagney, Joan Leslie, Walter Huston, Rosemary DeCamp, Richard Whorf, Jeanne Cagney

Cagney is nimble and brilliant as songwriter and patriot George M. Cohan.  No one can take their eyes off him as he dances up a storm in that unique Cagney "strut/stride", sings charmingly with his wife, Mary (Joan Leslie) and shines luminously with his love of country.

8Smiley Surprisedo p.m. Eastern--         Robert Preston, Shirley Jones, Pert Kelton, Buddy Hackett, Hermione Gingold, Paul Ford

Music-Man.jpg

Exuberance, courtesy of unstoppable Robert Preston, and rollicking, tuneful shenanigans.  Reportedly, the studio wanted a more "box office" star, like Cary Grant, for the lead, but he would have none of it.  "No one could play it like Bob Preston",  Cary averred.  What a gent.

The tender, wistful "Till There Was You",  sung by Shirley Jones to Robert Preston, below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLDsLeVxOaU

Anyway, here's the rest of the July 4 schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=CST&sdate=2020-07-04

Honored Contributor

Re: CLASSIC FILMS CELEBRATE AMERICA'S GLORIES JULY 4TH TCM

I saw "1776" on Broadway. And are you right - William Daniels was quite a presence on the stage. I was in college at the time and the college was right outside New York City (that is why I picked it). So we would hop the train and go into "the city". So glad we lucked out and were able to get orchestra seats.

Was well worth it.

Honored Contributor

Ever since the fifties my sister and  I have made Yankee Doodle Dandy our tradition for this time of year.  The role of George M. Cohan was made for Cagney and he is excellent in this movie, a terrific dancer I will add.

I sing to every song and Grand Old Flag gives me a feeling of pride every time.  It is such a uplifting entertaining movie and I consider it my 4th of July salute!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla,  wow, it must have been fabulous to see it live-- lucky you.  Such theater experiences are so vivid and immediate-- they remain etched on your memory.

That is such a neat family tradition to have, @spiderw !   I'm glad TCM is continuing a tradition of showing it on Independence Day.  At least, I'm assuming it was TCM.  Read something recently that suggested new people steering the channel somewhat away from its original course--- hope that doesn't mean they will discontinue fun annual tributes like their July 4 schedule...  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

AND LOOK! Looks like this book will be released September 22, 2020.

But He Doesn't Know the Territory: The Story behind Meredith Willson's The Music Man - "Broadway edition"
by Meredith Wilson

It is a reprint of Meredith Willson's 1959 memoir.

Our school district had a summer program called "Summer Stock". Every kid in the school district was invited to participate, from Grade 1 to Grade 12.

The man who ran the program was a good friend of Meredith Willson. So of course the year that they put on the show "Music Man", Meredith Willson came to see the show.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell   Thanks for the heads up.  Back in the Stone Age, our sorority performed a medley of Cohan songs for Greek Sing.

We won, but I am not sure if it was the quality of our voices or the inspiration of Cohan's lyrics that cinched the win.  I suspect the latter.

Honored Contributor

One of my fav films. We frequently will sing,"Always to the right". John Cullum,who plays one of the delegates from the south, has won many awards from Broadway productions, was on "The Middle" and played the grandpa. 

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oops,I forgot! He played Holling in Northern Exposure.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I always look forward to the classic, Yankee Doodle Dandy with James Cagney on July 4th weekend.  It's a wonderful movie.  You can find a trailer of the film on utube.  

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  "1776" is a family favorite! Each July 4th, it's just a matter of time before someone messages "Somebody open up a window!" and someone answers "Sit down John!" Also, "The Music Man" is a personal favorite. Thanks for posting!