Honored Contributor

CLAIRE TREVOR/GEORGE RAFT SIZZLE IN NOIR SUNDAY 12:00 A.M. AND 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

hqdefault.jpg

Midnight Eastern Sunday and 10:00 a.m. Eastern Sunday:

"Johnny Angel" --   George Raft, Claire Trevor, Hoagy Carmichael, Signe Hasso, Lowell Gilmore, Margaret Wycherly, J. Farrell McDonald, Mack Gray, Jason Robards Sr.

(No, it has nothing to do with Shelley Fabares' treacly ballad of the same name...)

It's an intriguingly off-beat film noir set in New Orleans, but for me, it's all about the great, great Claire Trevor, and the chemistry that she and George Raft have.  She gives one of her complicated, ambiguous, unhappily married 'femme fatale' performances.  Hubby (Marvin Miller) lacks whatever Raft has got.     

aWjOzlTHiQZs45pYkrfxx9bGkht.jpg

George Raft's merchant marine captain is understandably distracted, but doggedly pursues the mystery of murder and hijacking of a ship that, tragically, was commanded by his father.

JohnnyAngel3.jpg

Another mysterious Continental woman may hold clues--

img_0005.jpg

I wouldn't say it's the best plot ever, yet the stars remain compelling and charismatic, to the end.  The velvety cinematography, the raffish, night-clubby New Orleans setting and the musical and acting presence of Hoagy Carmichael, who plays "Memphis in June", are further assets.   And Claire's jewelry is a wow. 

3508-2.jpg

Can't wait to hear Eddie's commentary on this. 

The music that accompanies the clip below is bizarre, but at least you get a flavor for the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzdLp-TfhCw

Respected Contributor

Re: CLAIRE TREVOR/GEORGE RAFT SIZZLE IN NOIR SUNDAY 12:00 A.M. AND 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Not a fan of his, but love her, so I'll record on your rec, @Oznell.  (I remember Marvin Miller from "The Millionaire.")

Honored Contributor

Re: CLAIRE TREVOR/GEORGE RAFT SIZZLE IN NOIR SUNDAY 12:00 A.M. AND 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Oh, good, @vsm .   Just don't expect big things of the plot, which as I said, is not the greatest.  It starts strong-- then tends to meander.

That you recognize the worth of Claire Trevor, speaks so well of you as a film connoisseur!   I absolutely love her, in this, and in "Key Largo", "Crack-up", "Born to Kill", "Hard Fast and Beautiful", "Borderline".    One of the film noir "unforgettables"--  every performance so well thought-out, and with her singular little touches.

Poor Marvin Miller as "Gusty" in this, he doesn't get to be suave, as he was in "The Millionaire".  

(Side note- notice Claire's jewelry in this--  fab!)