Honored Contributor

CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER'S AND JULIE ANDREWS' AMUSING CHAT

snapshot.jpg

Boy, I wish I had found this when we were discussing the recent loss of the great Christopher Plummer.  Maybe lots of you have already seen this, but I was wowed!

I knew he was witty, from his autobiography,  "In Spite of Myself:  A Memoir".   But here he's so much fun--  sardonic, self-deprecating, hilarious when he describes showing up in tights to rehearse dance scenes, or the love scene with Julie, with the crudely groaning studio lights interrupting their "bliss"--  I'm chuckling as I write this.  He could not be more sharp and engaging.  This was in 2005.

That Austrian "foehn" he talks about (sounds like "fern" in the video) I believe is a legendary hot wind that sweeps over the Alps.  Exactly like the Santa Ana winds of southern California, it's been implicated in clinical depressions among residents, suicides and murders, etc.  Extraordinary.

Of course, he's softened his original dim view of some of "The Sound of Music",  but he still has keen insights and riveting stories.  Julie Andrews was her usual self, but I rather wish he had more time in the video-- he's truly great.  I always wish I had seen him in his Shakespearean roles.  Well, well worth the watch--  a mood lifter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YrzcCC2B_U

Honored Contributor

Re: CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER'S AND JULIE ANDREWS' AMUSING CHAT

I watched the video. I enjoyed seeing the two together talking about making the movie. 

I agree, I wish Christoher Plummer was given more time. Julie Andrews seemed to talk over him on occasion. I wish he would have been able to finish his thought. 

But it was still nice to hear what they had to say.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

he had the most melifuous (sp?) voice. I'd listen to him read the phone book.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

snapshot.jpg

Boy, I wish I had found this when we were discussing the recent loss of the great Christopher Plummer.  Maybe lots of you have already seen this, but I was wowed!

I knew he was witty, from his autobiography,  "In Spite of Myself:  A Memoir".   But here he's so much fun--  sardonic, self-deprecating, hilarious when he describes showing up in tights to rehearse dance scenes, or the love scene with Julie, with the crudely groaning studio lights interrupting their "bliss"--  I'm chuckling as I write this.  He could not be more sharp and engaging.  This was in 2005.

That Austrian "foehn" he talks about (sounds like "fern" in the video) I believe is a legendary hot wind that sweeps over the Alps.  Exactly like the Santa Ana winds of southern California, it's been implicated in clinical depressions among residents, suicides and murders, etc.  Extraordinary.

Thank you for the link, how utterly charming these two are.

Honored Contributor

I agree, @drizzellla ,  J.A. seemed to talk over him, surprisingly, at several key points where I wanted to hear him finish.  I'm thinking that the set-up was that she would sort of be 'the interviewer', shaping the discussion, and drawing him out, but, she didn't really need to draw him out-- he was a fount of interesting anecdotes and quirky observations, all on his own!

Throughout, I noticed his quality of intently listening to the person he's talking to--  that quality of "listening" seems to be a common thread with the greatest actors in their performances too.

Honored Contributor

TCM is showing "West Side Story" on Saturday night. So one of their fillers just now on TCM was chatting to various actors (one was George Chakiris) and Rita Moreno about making the movie. They also had Robert Wise in the interview.

The actors and Rita Moreno were all saying how Robert Wise was such a perfectionists. 

And I thought isn't it interesting I saw earlier today Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer chatting about their movie directed by Robert Wise. Guess that is why the studio picked him for "Sound of Music". After the success of "West Side Story".

Valued Contributor

Thank you for posting this @Oznell . The Sound of Music is my all-time favorite movie.

Honored Contributor

True, @drizzellla ,  Robert Wise seems to have been very meticulous, and eclectic too.  Judging by the fact that he directed projects as far flung as "Executive Suite",  "The House on Telegraph Hill",  "The Curse of the Cat People",  as well as "The Sound of Music".....   Very versatile guy!