Honored Contributor

CHRISTMAS QUADRUPLE FEATURE SUNDAY 1:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Starting off with recently aired, but superbly told, life of Jesus with Jeffrey Hunter; then the story from another perspective, "The Greatest Story Ever Told", this time with Max von Sydow; and then Bing Crosby, in the beloved story of a dedicated priest, with sequel yet!

1:15 p.m. Eastern--  "King of Kings"    Jeffrey Hunter, Robert Ryan, Siobhan McKenna, Hurd Hatfield, Viveca Lindfors.  Narration by Orson Welles

4:15 p.m. Eastern--  "The Greatest Story Ever Told"    Max von Sydow, Charlton Heston, Carroll Baker, Dorothy McGuire, Claude Rains, Jose Ferrer, Robert Loggia

Interesting to contrast the different portrayals of such a monumental figure as Jesus.  Jeffrey Hunter had a lovely, kind of 'internal centeredness' in his performance;  Max von Sydow has been faulted somewhat, I think, for being too 'gentle' in his-- I'd have to see it again, but I remember liking him too.  The endlessly interesting (to me!) character of John the Baptist is so well served by both actors playing him in these versions--  Robert Ryan and Charlton Heston, who is the one pictured above.

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Going My Way"  Bing Crosby, Barry Fitzgerald, Rise Stevens, Gene Lockhart, Frank McHugh

Charming story of an ambitious young Roman Catholic priest (Crosby) who arrives in a parish long-led by a much older, more hidebound Fitzgerald.  Crosby is at his ingratiating best as this "new broom", who is nevertheless sensitive to the concerns of the more senior man.  Lots of humor as well as pathos. 

10:15 p.m. Eastern--  "The Bells of St. Mary's"   Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman, Henry Travers, William Gargan, Ruth Donnelly, Joan Carroll, Rhys Williams

In the sequel they up the ante with radiant nun Ingrid Bergman working right along with Bing.  They might have slightly different methods with the children in the school, but each sees the strengths of the other, and as allies, they really cook!  There's a priceless sequence of repressed tomboy Ingrid teaching a timid little boy to defend himself with boxing...

Honored Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS QUADRUPLE FEATURE SUNDAY 1:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell  DH and I will watch the 2 Bing Crosby movies. We have on DVD too.  Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for postingthe Bells Of St mary is my Favorite movie.

Respected Contributor

@Lucy 13 wrote:

Thanks for postingthe Bells Of St mary is my Favorite movie.

Love the song too!

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @wonderfulworld ,  and Bing does such a nice job with that song in his rich bass/baritone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fnpJKMGV-Q

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, yeah, @wonderfulworld ,  and Bing does such a nice job with that song in his rich bass/baritone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fnpJKMGV-Q

Thank you so very much!