Honored Contributor

Re: CHIP AND JOANNA GAINES - NEW NETWORK

I never watched it till my daughter told me JoAnna was her favorite designer and that I should watch. I did and loved it. Chip and JoAnna compliment each other, balance it all out. His antics have had me bent over laughing. But he has a serious side when he's working. I don't enjoy the family life they have simply becuase that's not why I'm here. I'm here to see her work her magic and him to laugh at. 

Discovery Channel better not even be thinking about pulling their ID channel. It said something about getting rid of some of the 'more than enough' channels Discovery has. It's about the only channel I watch.

Esteemed Contributor

I really like the couple for their values and loving family home life.  I wasn't a fan of their show as a little of Chip went a long way and JoAnna was a one trick pony when it came to design.  She's very good at it but it's not my style.  I won't be watching the new show and had stopped watching Fixer Upper several seasons ago.

I thought the purpose of their leaving HGTV was to devote more time to family and they even had an additional child now.  Even with all of their employees who run and work at their business ventures, I don't see how they have much time for family .  I'd say the real reason they left was they had an issue with HGTV and/or were offered more money by Discovery.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

It is a network they are getting and not just another show, so it will be interesting to see what direction they go with overall programming beyond their own shows. The article mentioned that the DIY network is one of the three that may go away when this network hits the air and that does not make me happy but I guess we will see what happens.

I like them and have watched the show from the first episode but did notice a lot of changes over the years which did not endear me more to them. With the success of the show, Chip became more exaggerated in his antics as Joanna became more assured that her designs and style were exactly what was needed. If a client liked French Traditional, she would be reaching outside of her comfort zone but always nailing it. I still watched the show because it was on all the time, but not as invested in the outcome because it was always the same...kids come on the final night before reveal and we see again the importance of family to their lives and their clients. It came across to me as more increasingly focused on Joanna getting it “perfect” than how much the client’s loved the results. 

The last few years especially there was not much deviation from the formula and all episodes had very few if any clients looking for something beyond her distressed farmhouse chic and cozy family living that was turned into a Target line, a magazine and two books. Two more books were about their “Magnolia Story” and “Capital Gaines” for Chip. Multiple episodes were devoted to the purchase and renovation of the Silos, the Bed and Breakfast, the Bakery and not sure what else. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don’t care for them so I won’t be watching.

Valued Contributor

Hopefully HGTV will stop the marathon airings of Fixer Upper.  Seems as if every time I tune in, it's on.  Ugh.

Honored Contributor

I dislike them, a lot. I especially dislike their overproduction of children. What makes them think the world will benefit from more of them? There is over population depleting natural resources and polluting our oceans, rivers, lakes, and streams. They are irresponsible and selfish.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I have tried to watch them in the past, however I found them kind of phony?  Not sure why but something did not seem right about them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I have tried to watch them in the past, however I found them kind of phony?  Not sure why but something did not seem right about them.

I don't know if they're phony or not, but something about them never rang true for me either... All that folksy, family focus just seemed over the top... More to the point, when it comes to decorating and design, I'm just not particularly interested in the decorator's family values... I want to see interesting design and leave the cult of personality at the front door... Their 'brand' is of no interest to me...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Overproduction of children?   Wow

Honored Contributor

@DustRose wrote:

Overproduction of children?   Wow

Double Wow.