Honored Contributor

Re: CHIP AND JOANNA GAINES - NEW NETWORK

They're really genius at marketing themselves.  

I give them a lot of credit - they started their business from scratch and now look at where they are

Honored Contributor

Never watched them. Do not plan to. Hardly know what they do.... let alone who they are.....

Super Contributor

I always enjoyed their shows. I look forward to the new ones. It says in the article that Discovery Channel is the parent company of HGTV and they pursued the couple.

Super Contributor

I dont like either of them!! It is my least favorite HGTV show!  I may record the show and fast forward to the last few minutes. 

I think their children are on too often. I think it is very disrespectful to the new homeowners for the builder/designer family to eat a meal in the house!!  Yes, I know it is staged, but too much emphasis on the host's family life. 

When I watch a show about fixing up the house I don't want to see anything personal about the hosts. My design ability is limited so I want to know why they chose certain finishes. There was a program that showed how paint color could change a room. That's what I like. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They have marketed their brand successfully, which, I think, says more about the viewing public than it says about them or their aesthetic. When it gets right down to it, they never had an original idea between them... Folks have been doing what they do for years, they just found themselves at the right place at the right time... And so it goes... Many success stories are a matter of timing...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Well now, of course they are! They’re Chip & Joanna.

Not at all interested.

-Texas Hill Country-
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

They brought a recipe to TV that has continued to sell.  No surprise they have been courted to make more $$$, buying and selling on a background of family and community values, clean living, and no history of scandal. It will be interesting to see how they change up their game because Joanna's rooms were looking a lot alike.  Good work but it was time to do something diffferent for public consumption.

I do hope the new show doesn't get into the weeds of their personal lives as Chip was teasing it out.  Let the kids have their private lives.  America already has a pretty good idea of this family's values.  

I'd be interested more in the buying and selling details, they must do a lot of acquiring and negotiating that hasn't been previously filmed.    

Super Contributor

Joanna loves to garden, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be at least one gardening show on the new network. It's been too long since we've had gardening on tv.

Esteemed Contributor

I like them!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@BeckiWV wrote:

I like them!  Smiley Happy

-------

So do I. Yes, he's a goofball, but I like the way they include their audience in their lives. As far as sharing a meal in the house they are remodeling, how is that disrespectful? Most of the men and women who worked on our home ate lunch here.