Honored Contributor

CENTRAL PARK, GLEN CAMPBELL THE WM. TELL OVERTURE

Someone today mentioned the extraordinary ease and confidence of Glen Campbell, at the peak of his talent, playing for a captivated audience.

Despite everything, despite debilitating illness and decline in later years, he shines, forever immortalized.  Like all others derailed by dementia and Alzheimer's, the real person is still in there, the essential person of inestimable worth is there.  So important to remember that...

Glen Campbell's musical genre hasn't really been my favorite, but I've always so respected that raw talent that just poured out of him.  He related that as a child, he adored the Lone Ranger and Tonto, and vowed to play their theme, "The William Tell Overture",  by Rossini.  I love them too.

H3zCRmLr7Nz4MsKxWZp4f.jpg

Here he is in Central Park, introduced by Bob Hope, playing his heart out.   Love the virtuosity, the ease, the playfulness, the closely listening audience, the leather suit!

And when he mouths,  "Love this part"....

Do yourself a favor and go full screen to see the expressions up close, and the sheer showmanship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bhuxkzjuQc

Trusted Contributor

Re: CENTRAL PARK, GLEN CAMPBELL THE WM. TELL OVERTURE

[ Edited ]

I really enjoyed that, dear @Oznell . I don’t remember seeing him perform with such exuberance before. 

One of my favorites of his was his last song. Without looking it up, I think it was “I’m not going to miss you,” which was about his Alzheimer’s.  Very moving. 

Valued Contributor

@Oznell watched with a smile but tears running down my face.  Adore Glen Campbell.  Thanks for sharing.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow, he was an amazing guitarist.  Before he achieved fame he was a sought after session guitarist, also was with the Beach Boys for a short time. I'm not a huge country music fan but one of my top favorite songs of all time is Wichita Lineman.

Occasional Contributor

Wow, he was amazing! I don't usually post anything here, but enjoyed this so much - thank you for sharing!  I was a kid in the '70s when Glen Campbell and so many great groups and individual musicians were coming into their own. Both recent documentaries - Laurel Canyon and the one on The BeeGees - really captured the essence of the times and showcased the talent and creativity of all of these amazing people. I know there are a lot of really talented people today, but everything today is so high tech and "glossy". I guess I am a bit nostalgic for when people weren't motivated solely by the pursuit of money and fame, and there was no social media! I enjoy reading your posts very much - you are a beautiful writer.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Teddie,  that song you reference, in that context must have been so poignant.

@mizree,  I'm glad that others have a similar reaction to such excellence!

@decaf,   yes, he was a "guitaritst's guitarist" wasn't he, so respected for his artistry.  He was so good, he could let go on pieces like this and make it look *almost* easy.  Love the vamping.   B/c of his love for it, he played the William Tell Overture throughout his career, backed by serious orchestras-- I saw one version where he was playing behind his head...  Complete mastery.

@CorbettnBen,  Well put!  At its best, it was an era of explosive, non-homogenized, highly individualized talent, and lucky for us we have youtube!  Thank  you for kind words. 

Trusted Contributor

Glen Campbell was a wonderful entertainer.

I was never a superfan, but I always liked him, and he was always around while I was growing up, so to speak.  

I've been thinking of him more recently, because I have been listening to an old album he did with Bobbie Gentry, in the late sixties.

They do a wonderful version of Let It Be Me, and a song I've never heard before "Less of Me".  That last one has been running through my head the past few days.

The past years, when an entertainer dies, I look into their music and usually order a CD or two to remember them by, if I don't already have some.

When  Glen Campbell died, I did that, and I was amazed at all his wonderful songs that were hits, that I had forgotten about.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. You stated in your first post that "Glen Campbell's musical genre hasn't been my favorite."  I used to think that too until I heard him say several times in interviews that he wasn't a country singer but just sang beautiful songs.  If he loved a song, he sang it, no genre. And I realized that was true.

I love so many  of his beautiful songs, esp those written by Jimmy Webb which have no genre but are just pretty songs.  I think my favorite of all the songs he did was The Highwayman by Webb, which is a haunting song with a beautiful melody.  I too own a Greatest Hits CD of Glen's which I love, and which includes an old song --I Remember  You--  made popular by Rosemary Clooney.  Also on the CD is Southern Nights, a real toe tapper.  And when you think of Galveston, By the Time I Get To Phoenix, Gentle On My Mind and so many of his hits, there is no genre.

He started out as a backup guitarist in the recording studio for other artists.  He was a masterful guitarist as your video shows. The Smothers Brothers gave him his break on TV and he took off from there. 

Honored Contributor

Glen was a studio musician an played with the Beach Boys as well as being an entertainer on his own in his career.  He is an icon in the guitar world--more than for his career as an entertainer.

Have you noticed how many of his songs were about leaving some woman?  Woman Embarassed  Woman Very Happy

But his real strength was his mastery of the guitar.

Trusted Contributor

If you get a chance to watch his documentary I'll Be Me, it will be worth your while. He plays a Dueling Banjos with his daughter and it is amazing. He kept his ability to play, while losing everything else.