Honored Contributor

CBS - "All Access" Would You Pay for the Ability to Watch Something on the Internet?

I don't understand this CBS All Access?  I shouldn't even be on here about it until I check it out......but it kinda goes with what I've been yelping here about for more than a year.

I've been saying (based on my own research which is worth about 1 penny) that young people (people 30 and under) do not watch TV much anymore.  I know none of my grandchildren and/or their friends do not watch TV.  They sit in front of the computer (and watch shows) or Netflix (older shows) or some watch their Iphones, etc.

This CBS all access seems to me to feed right into this.  There are many other shows offered like this lately.

I already pay an arm and a leg (sorry, old saying) for Cable and my electric bill (which to me are one in the same) from having TV's (2) on 24/7 it seems.  Now I'm expected to pay (?) for something else.

My cable bill 'allows' me to view everything (every channel and even sports) they offer.  It is quite a sum of money to be able to do this, now I'm supposed to cough up more money?

I don't understand how this works, maybe it is free.  If it is, good.  I'm just not one to sit in front of a computer screen (I'm too old - 70 years old) and my eyes would rather watch a 55 inch TV screen.

I think for now (unless I find out it's free and worthwhile) I'll stick to watching my 55 inch TV.  It's not a smart TV and I've been thinking about getting a big (like this) smart TV.  If I find out there are 'all access' shows I can watch on a smart TV, then maybe I'll consider getting the smart TV.

I'm interested in finding out if any of you have watched similar 'all access' or something similar on your computers?  If so and if a person has a smart TV couldn't they (instead of watching a little computer screen) transfer that to their smart TV and watch it on the big screen?  Also, is there a cost to this?

Now I'm going to go on the internet and find out about all access but I'm more interested in what some of you have to say because many of you are REAL TV VIEWERS like myself.  We enjoy quite a variation of TV shows.  It's almost a 'sport' to me and some of you.  Ha!  I wouldn't admit that to just anyone, so this is just between me and you and the zillion of QVC forum fans....Come on people let me hear from the peanut gallery....yeas and nays....those who won't pay and those who will and do pay.  Convince me......I'm a marshmello and will bend every which way.....

Trusted Contributor

Re: CBS - "All Access" Would You Pay for the Ability to Watch Something on the Internet?

I wouldn't pay extra to watch TV on the internet.  However, the ability is included in our Comcast package, and I have made use of it.  My computer is in my sewing room, and I frequently stream TV while I'm sewing.

It has also come in handy when my husband travels, as the cable TV channels are quite limited in hotel rooms. He can stream TV shows and movies to his laptop.

We could do the same with Netflix.  But, after two years, we ended up canceling our subscription.  Just didn't use it enough.  We do have Amazon Prime, and I occasionally stream their programs to my computer or to our TV.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

Re: CBS - "All Access" Would You Pay for the Ability to Watch Something on the Internet?

no i would not pay for this all access t.v. style viewing

Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline It is probably in my Comcast package too then.  Thanks!  I changed over to the top of the line package so I could DVR more than 2 shows at once.  The trouble is I can't even keep up with the DVR'd shows.

I have almost 40 saved Law and Order shows on there plus many other shows.  Ha!  When I go out to lunch (usually at least 4 times a week) I'm out all day (wasting time...ha) so I don't sit in front of boob tube all day long.

It's hard for me to walk with bad knees and back but I force myself to get out and move (til I get them replaced).

Thanks for the information.  I appreciate it.  I have said all along, there won't be such a thing as (FREE) TV and it's coming quicker than even I thought.  People still have to purchase some form of cable just to watch regular TV.

I have a friend who has an HD TV but will only pay cable for regular TV and only the TV channels not cable.  She has the money, but doesn't want to spend it.  She's happy with the way it is and if she's happy I'm happy for her, but I'd go crazy.....She doesn't watch all of the stuff/junk I watch.  She likes love stories and stories about animals.  Different strokes for different folks.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   You sound like me.  Arthritis in my knees and lower back pain.  Plus no thyroid!  As they've increased my thyroid meds, and added Cytomel, some of my pains have gotten better.   But, my knees are shot.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

My son-in-law said with my cable I could watch TV on any device and share it with up to 4 family members in the same household.  I don't know so I guess I have this all access thing too.

I did see where you can see it ON DEMAND too:

Honored Contributor

Dr. always said only one knee at a time.  I was in the other day and he said, "I'll do both at the same time".  How the hay does that work?

We could be twins....I had my thyroid removed.  I do know that when my knees were shot up really good (and it lasted for a day or two) my back pain was 90% better.  

I broke it in 3 places when I was 18 (now I'm 70).  Never had trouble with it until around 2003, now it's terrible.  No operation will make it better.  I've had every new technique done....paid a lot of extra money for it and nothing.  Don't you agree people don't understand because it's not something THEY can see.  With me I say, "Give me your hand.  Do you feel that rock?  That's the muscle in my back.  Those are the nerves in my back.  That's what I live with".  They go, "Wow", but they have no idea.  Right?

Honored Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I am not interested in what CBS is offering but I stopped paying for cable TV years ago. I stream TV & movies on my TV through Roku - using my Internet connection. I suspect what CBS is offering can also be streamed on a TV that way. 

I mostly stream on my through Amazon Prime (on Roku) & it is worth every penny. I spend in a year what I'd spend in a month if I still had cable. And I get perks like free 2-day shipping & Kindle books - things I would never pay for alone. 

Honored Contributor

i have a large comcast package, hulu, netflix, and amazon prime (via my student daughter)......i dont think i need anything else right now. i am already behind on my shows.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein