Honored Contributor

CBS channel and close caption

Anybody else having trouble with CBS having faulty closed caption appearing on your TV screen? Mine works great on every channel except CBS.   Thru my cable provider.

Trusted Contributor

Re: CBS channel and close caption

I'm watching 60 Mins right now with CC.  No problems with it.

I have Comcast.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about that, but during the pregame show for the football game the screen went black, I missed the beginning of the game till it cam back on. 

Honored Contributor

They must be having transmission problems or something.

Honored Contributor

The CC is all done by computer, now.   Not a human doing the typing.    I have gotten some really strange "translations"........     

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE  About a year ago, I wrote to both CBS and NBC regarding shows like Dateline and 48 Hours and their CC.  They did respond but told me that it was the best that they could do.  I did tell them that PBS had no problems.

@Desertdi I had no idea.  I do art tutorials and some of the artists have English as a second language, which can be difficult.  The CC is quite often not correct, such as the word pins for paint. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I just now sent an email to my local CBS telling them they had a problem. Husband was on phone and couldn't read the words to the football game on while ago. LOL   It hit the fan after that. LOL

Honored Contributor

Closed captioning on live programming is "interesting." On pre-recorded stuff, it's generally pretty good these days, but on live broadcasts, it's a whole different story. I don't need CC, but on occasion, I'll turn it on if a game or something is boring just for the entertainment value. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

The CC is all done by computer, now.   Not a human doing the typing.    I have gotten some really strange "translations"........     

That is interesting. Often if I happen to have CC on, I think that the word that appears on CC is not the word that was spoken. And often I will re-read the CC and it doesn't make any sense. Now I know why. Thanks for the information.

Honored Contributor

I sent email to the local cbs station for the close caption thing waiting to hear from them, but, think it could be our ISP provider. Have to call them now.

ABC was dropping out voice wise, pausing in their talking, etc. We tested it on our other TV's that was hooked up via upstairs attic antenna and the one that is just on walmart antenna and they were all good, so, think it's just the cable provider. We just switched ISP providers think they need to come back and tweak it.

By the way I don't need it I'm not deaf, but, like to have it when your watching to catch words when people who talk to fast or your watching PBS channels where they have England people talking we have trouble understanding what they're saying some times.

That was interesting and makes sense that it's computer generated because we always thought they hired illiterate people to do the spelling or was from foreign countries. Computers makes sense why it comes across

"interesting" sometimes. ROFL