Esteemed Contributor

Rolling Stone:

‘Cats’: A Broadway Musical Adaptation Straight Outta the Litterbox

This disastrous attempt to bring Andrew Lloyd Webber’s hit musical to the screen shouldn’t happen to a dog

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager   Woman Very Happy  Gotta love Rolling Stone

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

Re: CATS Movie Reviews

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@judy0330   I think one has to be a cat lover to appreciate Cats, only saw the stage version and loved it.

@mousiegirl   I have to tell you that that is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard.  Being a cat lover and liking or not liking the musical Cats have zero to do with each other.  There is no bigger cat lover out here than me -- except maybe my husband.  We have always had cats and they are totally a part of our family.  Our little Gracie is older now and although we love to travel -- as long as she is alive -- our traveling days are over.  We laugh about how our lives reolve around her -- but wouldn't have it any other way.  I don't know how you can compare feelings for a living part of the family with a musical based on a book of poetry.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The stage show would not interest me, nor would this movie. 

Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@judy0330   I think one has to be a cat lover to appreciate Cats, only saw the stage version and loved it.

@mousiegirl   I have to tell you that that is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard.  Being a cat lover and liking or not liking Cats have zero to do with each other.  There is no bigger cat lover out here than me -- except maybe my husband.  We have always had cats and they are totally a part of our family.  Our little Gracie is older now and although we love to travel -- as long as she is alive -- our traveling days are over.  We laugh about how our lives reolve around her -- but wouldn't have it any other way.  I don't know how you can compare feelings for a living part of the family with a musical based on a book of poetry.

@judy0330  You obviously misunderstand the meaning of my post.  Have you ever listened to the words of Memories?  It is a cat that was once loved, then discarded, I assume, or lost,  to live a miserable life on the streets.  All of the cats are strays, at least in the stage version. It is portraying what life on the streets is for cats, no love, starving, etc.

I was born loving cats, and spent most of my life rescuing cats off the street to become my pets, and over twenty years rescuing and finding homes for cats.

Valued Contributor

Re: CATS Movie Reviews

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl   Yes -- I am very familiar with the words and meaning of the heartbreaking song Memories.  What I disagree with is that one has to be a cat lover to appreciate the musical.  My favorite musical is Evita -- which I  saw last month for the ninth time.  I appreciate the score -- the lyrics -- and the staging -- but I am not a fan of the subject of the show.   Bottom line -- we are both obviously cat lovers -- and it's probably semantics.  Wishing you and your furry friends a Very Happy Holiday!

Trusted Contributor

Another good review title: Me ouch!

Honored Contributor
I really disliked the original Cats. Definitely not seeing the movie.

(And I’m a cat lover and owner.)

Someone mentioned Les Mis. Hated it also. 😂
Esteemed Contributor
@mousiegirl wrote:

@judy0330 wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I've seen the play twice and hated it both times.

Yes, I'm probably the ONLY person on earth that feels this way, but I'm confessing it here Cat LOL  And I adore cats in real life.

I personally know of nobody who saw the show and didn't hate it.  (It was nice to see some comments on this thread from people who liked it.)  The funny thing is that each and every person who has told me that they hated it has said the same thing -- that they must be the ONLY person to feel that way.  My husband and I are huge Broadway fans.  He saw Cats before we were married and hated it.  My stepson recently saw it in Chicago.  Ditto.  I never saw it because I knew I wouldn't like it.  Looks like the movie will be a major flop.

@mousiegirl 

No, I’m definitely not a cat lover. But we saw Cats in the 80s at Andrew Lloyd Weber’s theater in London and I loved it. The previews for this upcoming movie creeped me out and I don’t plan to see it ever. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.