Respected Contributor

I loved the play and look forward to the movie.  Although, I must say, the trailer was underwhelming.  Even Jennifer Hudson, with her powerhouse voice, made me wonder what was wrong.  Those are some BAD reviews!  But there have been many times when the critics and I have disagreed.  Most recently, "The Favorite".  Ugh.  Now, THAT was a BAD MOVIE!

Valued Contributor

I saw Cats on Broadway in the 80's also - wanted to leave after the first Act - but was with friends and so had to stay til rthe end - 

And then, my young niece wanted to see it, so for her birthday, i sat through it again.

Other than the song Memories, it was quite forgettable - ironic, right?

But I did wonder about the movie version, affer seeing who the cast members were - but, with the cost of going to the movie  today, I will heed the reviews and save my money.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: CATS Movie Reviews

[ Edited ]

The movie will be on HBO in 3 months or sooner & straight to DVD as well as On Demand in 30 days. whistling.gif

**EDIT:  Followed by Netflex & Amazon Prime Videos in close succession** Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I've seen the play twice and hated it both times.

Yes, I'm probably the ONLY person on earth that feels this way, but I'm confessing it here Cat LOL  And I adore cats in real life.

I personally know of nobody who saw the show and didn't hate it.  (It was nice to see some comments on this thread from people who liked it.)  The funny thing is that each and every person who has told me that they hated it has said the same thing -- that they must be the ONLY person to feel that way.  My husband and I are huge Broadway fans.  He saw Cats before we were married and hated it.  My stepson recently saw it in Chicago.  Ditto.  I never saw it because I knew I wouldn't like it.  Looks like the movie will be a major flop.

@judy0330   I think one has to be a cat lover to appreciate Cats, only saw the stage version and loved it.

Respected Contributor

I saw the play many years ago and enjoyed it.  From the first time I saw a clip of the movie I felt it would bomb.  Don't want to see computer-generated cats with a person's face on it.  Today I heard it has a 16% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. 

Honored Contributor

They say it's pretty awful, I haven't read single good or even so-so review.  The movie reviewer in our little town paper on scale of 0 to 10.....gave it a  -5.

Esteemed Contributor

Some more rather humorous review snippets:

Watching Cats Is Like a Descent Into Madness" — Collider

"But if it wasn’t enough to make the cats horny (why are they so horny), Hooper also feels the need to make it gross by having them dig through trash and play up their animal instincts," wrote Matt Goldberg. "Cats always feels like it’s two seconds away from turning into a furry orgy in a dumpster. That’s the energy you have to sit with for almost two hours."

"Cats Review — A Purr-fectly Dreadful Hairball of Woe" — The Guardian

"The setting is London, it does look post-nuclear," wrote Peter Bradshaw. "There aren’t any people, so maybe there were Bomb blasts — or maybe a bio disaster, causing cat-human mutants with digital fur."

"Yes, Cats Is as Bad as It Looks" — AV Club

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky wrote: "Many of these effects appear unfinished, with noticeable differences in resolution and animation between principals and background characters and at least one instance in which a rendering error appears to have made it into the release version of the film."

Honored Contributor

I saw the play/musical years ago.  My sister went with me and it didn't take me long to lose interest.  I focused on the costumes, set design, etc.  Mostly I paid attention to the mechanics of what was happening and not the story.  When we were walking to the car I asked my sister so how did it end? 

She looked at me like I beamed down from another planet. Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I wanted to see this so bad. The trailer sort of looks like a fairytale. I guess we will see something else tomorrow. I am very disappointed

Honored Contributor

spend some time looking at the youtube previews it's 10 minutes of your life you won't get back

cringeworthy to the nth degree

I mentioned it to my kid and he said DON'T watch, I should have listened to him,